Routers Suck (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 11:22
Is it just the routers in my life or are others having routers that seems to always need to be resetting? I just lost two hours of time today because the foolish router at my wife's rehab had to be reset. restaurants I go to, the one at my house same thing. We can put a man on the moon but can't seem to make decent routers.

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:22
Hy Dick !
Unfortunately... bad news for you :banghead:

The routers failed some times but not as frequently as you describe.:p

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 15:22
I've been running the same Belkin cable router for over 15 years. :D

Another Belkin ADSL router to pair to that cable one for 7 years.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 11:22
I've been running the same Belkin cable router for over 15 years. :D

Another Belkin ADSL router to pair to that cable one for 7 years.

I guess it's just the routers in my life, or maybe my presents, <G>. The Verizon jet pack in my house, I have to reset at least once a week. The router at the rehab hospital my wife is at is down at least once a month usually for at least 4 hours. One restaurant I go to is down around once a month. I started having breakfast at a new restaurant about a 6 weeks ago and it has not been down at all. :) I wish I hadn't said that, you know what will happen tomorrow morning?:)

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:22
I have had a netgear wireless router (do not remember the model number) for a couple of years and never needed to re-boot it. I cannot say the same for my DSL modem (I have had it for over 10 years).

whqlmethis

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:22
I'd would have recommend an apple Airport router but they have been discontinued. It looks like eero routers would be a good replacement.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:22
It is quite possible that the router is not the problem so much but the ISP. Depends on how the ISP server is configured.

The router is allocated a lease on an address using DHCP. That lease may expire and will only be updated by reconnecting.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I'm sure that "cheaper" routers buffers/caches get full up over time, and the only way to clear them out is a reset.

I have a Cisco one that I replaced the free one from my ISP, and it does need resetting but only about every 3-4 months.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Since saying mine have been fine for years, my Belkin cable router now periodically stops accessing the net via port 80. Emails are fine, just can't browse the net.

I just reboot it when that happens and continue on.

I do have spare routers, just too lazy to record all the settings and move to a new Belkin router as it only happens now and again and I can live with the 40 seconds it takes to reboot. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom