Outlook Automation Office 2013 (1 Viewer)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:14
I may have stumbled across an issue that will require a fair bit of a re-write on a number of database front ends I look after, unless someone has already found a way around this.

It would appear that most of the Office 2013 products can be installed in either a "Streamed" mode (sometimes referred to as Click to run) or what I would call a traditional msi install.
If the local office 2013 install is streamed there is apparently no Automation object available to allow you to send mail via Outlook.

We have used a late bound automation process for a number of years, but with a large quantity of our machines now being upgraded to 2013 this represents a significant PITA...

This thread has some links to further information - https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/F...nnecting-to-current-instance?forum=outlookdev

Has anyone else come across this - or am I missing a golden nugget somewhere?

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 17:14
From https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/F...tualized-office-versions-?forum=officegeneral
The 2010 Click-to-run apps have no automation interface and cannot be automated.
But 2013?

From https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219427(v=office.15).aspx

Click-to-Run is available for the following products from Office 365:
Office 365 ProPlus
Visio Pro for Office 365
Project Pro for Office 365
SharePoint Designer 2013
Lync 2013
Lync 2013 Basic
The products that are available to you depend on your Office 365 subscription.
Click-to-Run is also available for the following retail products:
Office Professional 2013
Office Home and Business 2013
Office Home and Student 2013

Bl... f...%/&¤#/¤#%#¤%/& confusing stuff!

MannyF924

Local time
Today, 11:14
I ran into this just recently. I've been:banghead: looking for an answer but no luck except that if the user closes Outlook the code in my application works, needless to say the users don't like doing having to close Outlook to run the send process but it's only once a week that they need to run it.
Has there been any other headway made on this issue?
How can we through VBA code detect if another Office application is running if it's click to run?

MannyF924

Local time
I'll have to give that a try although I use the function below to call a process. For example:

Function IsExcelRunning() As Boolean
Dim xlApp As Object
On Error Resume Next

Set xlApp = GetObject(, "Excel.Application")
IsExcelRunning = (Err.Number = 0)
Set xlApp = Nothing
Err.Clear
End Function

I used this to try and detect Outlook and even though Outlook shows as a process in Task Manager the code above does not detect it running.

The answer may be to upgrade users to Office Pro 2013 since the automation seems to be not there for Office 2010 and supposedly is there for 2013.

I'll let you know what the end fix turns out to be.

Thanks!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:14
That only works because of the automation object which isn't there, hence my link which I think looks for another method of checking the running apps.

MannyF924

Local time
Yes, of course makes sense. I didn't pick up on that right away.
So far having some success one more thing to work out then I'll post the solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom