Cannot Open anymore databases (2 Viewers)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:18
I was answering the question of why a particular approach is preferred specifically for using CurrentDB vs. using the DBEngine(0)(0) reference.

As I mentioned, ff you do either method ONCE in a production-status app and it lasts for the duration of the session, nobody cares. My point was only that there IS a difference that applies often to inexperienced users regarding what they put inside loops, and was intended ONLY as a specific answer to the specific exchange between you and Colin.

Agree, not relevant to the OP original question. Relevant only to a side exploration that was part of the thread.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Yesterday, 17:18
Snowflake,
Two questions that are not directly related to your current issue, but may help shed light on your programming style;
1) Do you actually have a field in in your table that is
tblMainProductDetail.SpecialPrintFinishBACK.Value
with .Value as part of the field name?
2) What benefit are you seeing using a multivalue field that justifies having it? I'm asking as that does tie you to only ACCESS for your development tool / backend.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 01:18
Hi Mark
I realise the question is aimed at the OP.
However, I took the .Value as an unnecessary use of the default property.
Although the ConcatRelated function does allow for the use of MVFs, I see no mention of this by the OP. I would always caution against using them.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Yesterday, 17:18
Colin,

For the .Value, if its simply the default property I'm surprised it working right in a query. If its a field name, its a strange one to have. As to their use of a multivalue, its in post #10.

I've found over the years that often when you find out more about how a programmer writes their code you'll often find better answers for their issues, especially ones that are intermittent.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 01:18
Ah yes. Hadn't noticed the post #10 comment. Apologies

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:18
Snowflake, if some of us go off into the weeds, it isn't with the intent to intimidate or confuse you. Please just chalk it up to people sometimes trying too hard.

The quick-and-dirty summary of the problem is this: Either Access or Windows has a limit on some resource. You reached that limit. We have to go exploring to identify which limit you ran into, because without knowing that, we can't advise how to either (a) extend the limit or (b) reduce consumption of whatever that limit controls or (c) totally avoid the limit. Unfortunately, more than one limit could be the culprit. It is the exploration part that is causing us to "go all over the map."

Hope that helps explain why things get a little "rowdy" here sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom