Access form: Issue in displaying the data fields based on the value I select in Combo (1 Viewer)

Premlatha Raghunath

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:44
Hi all,

I'm new to MS Access and I need some help with the Combo Box property used in the access form.

I have used Combo box to find the record on my form based on the value I select in the combo box. I have three forms and have used three combo boxes in each form respectively. I'm using Quote number (Primary key) in the combo box which upon selection of a particular Quote number, displays all the related data fields in the form. The issue I'm facing is that the data fields related to the primary key is getting displayed in two forms but not on the third form. The two forms in which the data is getting displayed has limited data fields and the third form has all the data fields from all the tables. Although I have used the same functionality, the Combo Box is not working in the third form. Has anyone faced this issue before? I appreciate any help.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Welcome to AWF! It's kind of hard to say what's going on without seeing it in action. Did you use the Combobox Wizard when you added the combobox on the third form? If not, try adding a new combobox using the Wizard to see if it works or not.

Premlatha Raghunath

Registered User.
Local time
I did use the Combo Box wizard and created combo box in the third form. It's not working. Anyways Thanks for your time!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I did use the Combo Box wizard and created combo box in the third form. It's not working. Anyways Thanks for your time!
So, when you used the Combobox Wizard, did you select the third option?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In my experience the third option will not appear if the form is bound to a query, which this one likely is: "the third form has all the data fields from all the tables".

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
In my experience the third option will not appear if the form is bound to a query, which this one likely is: "the third form has all the data fields from all the tables".
Good point. It might have to be done manually then (no wizard help).

Premlatha Raghunath

Registered User.
Local time
So, when you used the Combobox Wizard, did you select the third option?

Yes. I created a query which includes all the data fields from all the tables and then I set Record Source to Query in the Data tab of Form Properties because of which I was able to select the third option "Find my record based on the value I select in my Combo Box". I did the same for two other forms and that is working fine. But it's not working in the form which contains most of the data fields from all the three tables.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes. I created a query which includes all the data fields from all the tables and then I set Record Source to Query in the Data tab of Form Properties because of which I was able to select the third option "Find my record based on the value I select in my Combo Box". I did the same for two other forms and that is working fine. But it's not working in the form which contains most of the data fields from all the three tables.
Hi. It's a little hard to troubleshoot without seeing it in action. Are you able to post a sample copy of your db with test data only?

Premlatha Raghunath

Registered User.
Local time
Please find the attachments:

Form that works: It's the form that is working.

Error form: It's the form which has issues with the combo box. The data related to the specific number (primary key) is not popping up in the form when selected in the combo box.

The form contains data fields from different tables.

I understand that it's difficult to troubleshoot the error without seeing it in action but can you tell me the possible reasons for this kind of error to occur? It will be very helpful if you can at least provide me with the resources where I can figure out the issue.

PS: Sorry for the black marks in the form. I'm not supposed to reveal the data field names.

Attachments

• Form that works.png
    Form that works.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Error Form.png
    Error Form.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 47

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Please find the attachments:

Form that works: It's the form that is working.

Error form: It's the form which has issues with the combo box. The data related to the specific number (primary key) is not popping up in the form when selected in the combo box.

The form contains data fields from different tables.

I understand that it's difficult to troubleshoot the error without seeing it in action but can you tell me the possible reasons for this kind of error to occur? It will be very helpful if you can at least provide me with the resources where I can figure out the issue.

PS: Sorry for the black marks in the form. I'm not supposed to reveal the data field names.
Hi. Unfortunately, seeing only the two forms you provided does not give us enough information to suggest anything. Can you post a screenshot of the form in design view and also post the code behind the dropdown events? Thanks.

Premlatha Raghunath

Registered User.
Local time
I figured out the issue. I had used Query for the other two forms but not for the third form. Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
We're glad you got it sorted out.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I figured out the issue. I had used Query for the other two forms but not for the third form. Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it.
Congratulations! Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom