workplace management- add record on map (1 Viewer)

ben.weizmann

Local time
Today, 15:10
hi :)
I would like to create a workplace managment software.
I want to give to the user possibility to load a map
click on the currect point on the map
place the suitable employee
characterize this point (name / number of the office)
and record this data.

I guess, the right way to do it, it's to work with coordinates.
in db will be saved a key for the employee, the name of the map, and the fit coordinates.

1. do you have any equivalent templete to get an inspiration?
2. how to apply this coordinates system?
3. alot of coordinates can describe the same office, how can I overcome this problem?

thanks u so mach
Ben

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 22:10
Hi Ben
Welcome to AWF
Yes you can do this but it will take some work
For example the image below shows the location of places within a specified distance of a set location.

As shown, you can add one or more push points to maps. In your case you would need the addresses or postcodes or coordinates for each location.
Its a big topic. Start by studying the documentation that is supplied with the API. For example the Google Maps Developers Guide or similar from Bing etc

Attachments

• NearbyPlaces4.jpg
    NearbyPlaces4.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 293

MrHans

Local time
Today, 23:10
Hi Colin, that Map is not a static image right?
How did you implement the map part in that screenshot?

Is it an Internet Explorer window?

Thx,
Hans

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
That is a static image saved locally and displayed in an image control.
The push pins are added to the image before downloading.
When the nudge buttons or zoom controls are clicked a new image is downloaded but the process is so fast and seamless it appears to be a live dynamic image.

If you are interested you can download a time limited evaluation version of the app from http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/uk-postal-address-finder/4594138311

You might be interested in this parallel thread about viewing images from URLs in a Web browser window https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=306337. In particular, see post #8

Last edited:

MrHans

Local time
Thanks Colin, yes I read that parallel thread as well. So do you use the ActiveX Microsoft WebBrowser control for displaying this static map? Or is this just the image being downloaded and refreshed?

I have a form where I display a route on a map. We discussed it earlier when I was confronted with the url becoming too long.

I would like this map to be interactive as well, being able to zoom in and out would be nice. Scroll through the route on the map and highlighting interesting parts of the route as well. For example clicking on one of the coordinates in the route data table underneath the map could highlight this point within the route on the map.

Any idea how I could accomplish that?

Sorry to the op, I don't want to hijack your thread. Feel free to continue asking what you need.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The image in this thread is just saved as a local file and displayed in a standard image control. No need for a Web browser control.

Its not my thread though the OP seems to have gone AWOL....

However suggest you start a new thread about the interactive route map and I'll respond

MrHans

Local time
Thanks a lot, will do!

Really nice to see how you work with those Maps API's, always impressive Screenshots. Thank you for posting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom