How many copies have you deployed? (1 Viewer)

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Today, 07:08
now that I've looked into VB.NET some, I guess I'm left wondering if a solid, industrial business application can be built and deployed using Access only....Let's say I have a great business Idea (not sure yet..lol) and Its possible it could balloon to sell thousands (3-5k) of copies of an application.

Would it still be wise to build it in Access?

Thanks for any insight.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 09:08
Would it still be wise to build it in Access?

No. Doing so, limits your customers to those with Access (or increases the cost of your application to them by requiring they purchase a copy). Additionally from a software management perspective (bug fixes, version upgrading, license validation) Access isn't the best choice to ensure everything goes smoothly.

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Plog,
Thank you for your response. Can anyone recommend a good and affordable vb.net compiler then? I know visual studio express is free...Is there any features it does not have that I would sorely miss?

Thanks,
Gary

thechazm

VBA, VB.net, C#, Java
Local time
Today, 10:08
Are you going to be doing all of the development or are you talking about having some side developers as well? Sounds like a silly question but it does matter.

thechazm

VBA, VB.net, C#, Java
Local time
One last question then I can answer the real question. Are you going to want to do any C#.net programming as well as vb.net as well? And are you familier with C#?

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Hi Chazm,
Only VB.net...I don't know C#....

thechazm

VBA, VB.net, C#, Java
Local time
Sorry it took a minute to get back. Had to run some arrands, anyway, one of the best free ones I had used was http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/Download/ It allows for development of not just vb.net but quite a few others as well. It has some decent tools to go along with it. Lastly it's open source and I love open source programs.

As for the express edition of vb.net would be fine as long as your not doing any team building or need crazy advanced debugging tools. There are some really nice debugging tools in the paid for editions but most of the time it's not worth it for just one developer.

Lastly this one only has a 30 day trial but it is a really awsome programming platform. It's not exactly vb.net but it follows it very close so it's easy to adapt to. Plus it allows you to program for Linux, Mac, and Windows in the same platform!

That being said check it out on their comparison site and you can see how much they are. Much less than microcrap http://www.realsoftware.com/realstudio/compare.php

I hope that helps a little. Any of these you could make full blown apps with. Also a side note I have developed (and still am) access databases with over 10K users in some. So access can handle it if you program it correctly and know and watch for it's limitations. I am not saying this is the right way to go but it does get the job done in a lot of cases.

Laters and good luck,

TheChazm

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 08:08
Depending on how complex any application would be... assuming you are a 1 man shop with no financial backing lets assume it is a small single focused product.
The Microsoft model for web based Access and product sales might work.
One deployment, a model for charging and distribution.
Microsoft is discussing a system to deploy what they call App, it can be a database, a photo, an e-book. MS takes a charge per transaction.
As usual, it is the marketing and other maintenance that makes the difference.
As a member of a non-profit foundation, we create unique content for distribution. Still in the process of wrapping my mind around MS fuzzy plan. I am still not sure if MS has it's act together.
The real key is to have a solid marketing, distribution plan in place before packaging the product. There are a lot of good products out there that became free-ware.
Prove the market then invest in the product. It is like building a bunch of houses on the edge of town and finding out later if there will be roads, electric, water, and commuters. Economics 101 should state: Demand and Supply - not the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom