Update DLookUP function automatically (1 Viewer)

PhilUp

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:29
Hello,

I am trying to have some DLookUp functions updated automatically.

I have one table where I enter the monthly average exchange rate of currencies, the entry is made in the beginning of the following month.

I have one table, where I enter all invoices and date of invoice. At the time when I enter the date, the monthly rate is not yet available.

I have this code that is working ok, as long I have the Xrate already in the table:

Private Sub InvDate_AfterUpdate()
Me.[XrateAtInvoiceDate] = DLookup("[XrateInvDate]", "XrateQueryInvDate", "InvoiceID =" & Nz([InvoiceID], 0))
End Sub

How to have the values updated when I enter the exchange rate ?

Thank you for helping,
Philippe

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:29
I would create a form that you enter the rates in. Put a command button on the form that runs an update query to update any invoices without an exchange rate ?

PhilUp

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you Minty,

I have already the form to enter the exchange rates. But the DLookUp function is on another form ( invoice Form).

How to generate the update ?

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:29
If you are entering/editing the exchange in the form, use the AfterUpdate of the text box to execute an update query to change all invoices with the same date.

If this is too cryptic and you want specific code, provide the name of your invoice table, the name of the exchange rate field and the name of the text box on the form where the exchange rate is entered/changed.

PhilUp

Registered User.
Local time
The name of my invoice table is "InvoiceTable"
The name of exchange rate form is "Xrates Monthly Means"
it contains following text boxes:

EUR
USD
THB to CHF
THB to EUR
THB to USD

There are several fields because we are handling two offices in different countries: Branch "XCH" will calculate equivalent value in CHF. Branch "XTH" will calculate in THB

The LookUp functions is getting the correct currency exchange rate from a query "XrateQueryInvDate" with the following formula:

XrateInvDate: IIf([InvoiceTable]![Branch]="XCH" And [InvoiceTable]![Currency]="EUR",[XRates Monthly Means]![EUR],IIf([InvoiceTable]![Branch]="XCH" And [InvoiceTable]![Currency]="USD",[XRates Monthly Means]![USD],IIf([InvoiceTable]![Branch]="XTH" And [InvoiceTable]![Currency]="CHF",[XRates Monthly Means]![THB to CHF],IIf([InvoiceTable]![Branch]="XTH" And [InvoiceTable]![Currency]="EUR",[XRates Monthly Means]![THB to EUR],IIf([InvoiceTable]![Branch]="XTH" And [InvoiceTable]![Currency]="USD",[XRates Monthly Means]![THB to USD],1)))))

Hope it understandable, thanks for help.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
No, it's not very understandable to me. I avoid complicated nested IIf's - too easy to get it wrong, too hard to understand when modifying it later.

On the other hand, a set of nested if/elseif statements in a function is a lot easier to understand and maintain. Such as

Code:
Function XrateInvDate(pBranch As String, pCurrency As String, pDate As Date)
   If pBranch = "XCH" And pCurrency = "EUR" Then
      XrateInvDate = DLookup("[EUR]", "[XRates Monthly Means]", "Format(XRateDate,'yyyymm')=" & Format(pDate, "yyyymm"))
   ElseIf pBranch = "XCH" And pCurrency = "USD" Then
      XrateInvDate = DLookup("[USD]", "[XRates Monthly Means]", "Format(XRateDate,'yyyymm')=" & Format(pDate, "yyyymm"))
   ElseIf pBranch = "XTH" And pCurrency = "CHF" Then
      XrateInvDate = DLookup("[THB to CHF]", "[XRates Monthly Means]", "Format(XRateDate,'yyyymm')=" & Format(pDate, "yyyymm"))
   ElseIf pBranch = "XTH" And pCurrency = "EUR" Then
      XrateInvDate = DLookup("[THB to EUR]", "[XRates Monthly Means]", "Format(XRateDate,'yyyymm')=" & Format(pDate, "yyyymm"))
   ElseIf pBranch = "XTH" And pCurrency = "USD" Then
      XrateInvDate = DLookup("[THB to USD]", "[XRates Monthly Means]", "Format(XRateDate,'yyyymm')=" & Format(pDate, "yyyymm"))
   Else
      XrateInvDate = 1
   End If

End Function
Note I didn't see anything to indicate the date format you have in your exchange rate lookup table, so you might have to change the above code.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 15:29
or you can use Switch instead of IIF:

Code:
XrateInvDate: Switch([InvoiceTable]![Branch]="XCH" And [InvoiceTable]![Currency]="EUR",[XRates Monthly Means]![EUR], _
[InvoiceTable]![Branch]="XCH" And [InvoiceTable]![Currency]="USD",[XRates Monthly Means]![USD], _
[InvoiceTable]![Branch]="XTH" And [InvoiceTable]![Currency]="CHF",[XRates Monthly Means]![THB to CHF], _
[InvoiceTable]![Branch]="XTH" And [InvoiceTable]![Currency]="EUR",[XRates Monthly Means]![THB to EUR], _
[InvoiceTable]![Branch]="XTH" And [InvoiceTable]![Currency]="USD",[XRates Monthly Means]![THB to USD])

PhilUp

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks a lot, yes, it is much easier this way.

So when will this code run ? At the time I enter the exchange rate in the form [XRates Monthly Means] ?

where shall I put the code ?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:29
Add it to the after Update event on the form control.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
The code can go either in the AfterUpdate event or be in a module called from the AfterUpdate event. The latter is better if the code is to be run from more than one place eg other forms.

The original post:
Code:
Me.[XrateAtInvoiceDate] = DLookup("[XrateInvDate]", "XrateQueryInvDate", "InvoiceID =" & Nz([InvoiceID], 0))
End Sub

Based on using a function as in my last post, you would have (depending on your control names)

Code:
   Me.[XrateAtInvoiceDate] = XrateInvDate(Me.txtBranch, Me.txtCurrencyType, Me.TransactionMonth)
End Sub

PhilUp

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for help, but I still don't quite understand how to set it up.

What I wnat to achive is :

When entering the exchange rate in the "form Xrates Monthly Means" I want the correct exchange rate ( either "EUR" or "USD" or "THB to CHF" or "THB to EUR" or "THB to USD" from query "XrateQueryInvDate") to go in the table InvoiceTable!XrateAtInvoiceDate

PhilUp

Registered User.
Local time
This is the query design for "XrateQueryInvDate"

PhilUp

Registered User.
Local time
This is the query design for "XrateQueryInvDate"

Attachments

• XrateQueryInvDate.jpg
    XrateQueryInvDate.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 115

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Run an update query to update data entered before exchange rates are known.

PhilUp

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, maybe this is the easiest way. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom