How do I Stop Programs Running at Start Up (1 Viewer)

Michael J Ross

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:05
When i boot up my pc Norton Anti Virus starts up automatically (it came with the pc) now I'm using a different anti virus I want to stop it running.

I've tried looking its configuration and i cant see anything to stop it running, and i've also tried using Add Remove programs but it doesn't appear in the list.

It was obviously configured by the manufacturer to run automatically, is there a way i can stop it running?

Thanks

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:05
Norton is a bit of a pain to get rid of but with a bit of know how you can do it.

1) Disable services from boot

Go to start > Run and type msconfig - check the services and startup tabs and untick any which refer to Norton or Symantec - Then reboot

2) Stop all Norton services from running (step 1 should cover this but just in case)

Go to Start run and type services.msc - right click and disable any that refer to Norton or Symantec

3) Add/Remove the progs

Go into the control panel and click add/remove progs and uninstal any reference to Norton, Symantec or LiveUpdate

4) Search your hard drive for any folders or files that refer to Norton and Symantec and delete them.

5) Search your registry and do the same as above (Start > run and type regedit - click edit > find, you don't need to search for everything just check the Look at Keys and Values tick boxes) WARNING be a bit carefull here don't delete the wrong keys you can mess up your PC (if you want to be carefull you can back up your registry by going to file > export)

and viola Norton should be gone :D easy eh :p

Last edited:

statsman

Local time
Today, 17:05
I had the same problem. I went to the Norton website and downloaded a five page document that told how to get rid of it. Took me about an hour.

I don't think the Norton folks want you to get rid of it once you have it.

R

Rich

There are a couple of downloads from the Semantic site that remove Norton without you having to delve into files etc.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
There are a couple of downloads from the Semantic site that remove Norton without you having to delve into files etc.

True and you can download third party software as well but I personally would do it manually then I'm sure I've got everything, after all Norton's unistaller doesn't work properly so why should it's 'complete' removal app work properly :p

I suppose it depends on how confident you are messing about with XP's 'inner guts' as it were.

R

Rich

Minkey said:
True and you can download third party software as well but I personally would do it manually then I'm sure I've got everything, after all Norton's unistaller doesn't work properly so why should it's 'complete' removal app work properly :p

I suppose it depends on how confident you are messing about with XP's 'inner guts' as it were.
The only thing I had left to delete manually were the shortcuts in the start up menu, AVG now works very well thank you:p
some of us don't hark back to DOS days:eek: :D :cool:

Michael J Ross

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:05
Managed to remove it using the tool from the symantec site, windows now loads up much quicker :)

hrv69

Local time
Today, 14:05
minkey i kno u posted this like a year ago.. but i got a big problem

i tried to follow ur steps for McAfee cause i downloaded it from torrent and installed it. it workd for about 5 days
then i noticed i cudnt go on msn and my lan connection between my 2 comps didnt work. but internet still dus. then i tried openin mcafee to unlbock firewall and mcafee wont open. ive tried uninstalling it re installing it anything u can possibly do

anywayz i was doing what you said i got the part where u Go to Start run and type services.msc - right click and disable any that refer to Norton or Symantec

for the McAfee i disabled all but one. and i think that one is what is making it load always and making it unable to uninstall. anywayz its called McAfee Real-time Scanner. When i go to disable it, it comes up with the msg 'could not stop the McAfee Real-time Scanner service on local computer' then its got ' Error 5:Access is denied'

If you know how to get rid of this shit please help me out

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
i tried to follow ur steps for McAfee cause i downloaded it from torrent and installed it. it workd for about 5 days

That's possibly the root of your problem, if you've downloaded it illegally I'm tempted to not help you at all but you are trying to removing it so for now:

1) Make sure Norton shield is shutdown, it will should be an icon on the taskbar.
2) Boot into safe mode and try it from there.

BTW It's not a good idea to download popular software from torrent sites not only is it illegal but they often contain viruses themselves.

hrv69

Local time
help

thats the problem. i cant disable it from running. its always running. i have no idea how to stop it from running. the icon in the bottom right wen clickd the mcafee sign pops up then goes away. i dont have norton just downloaded mcafee

hrv69

Local time
thnx myk

but i got rid of it. the comp guy did it somehow. anywayz i got a diff prob long story now lol. he will try fix the prob on wed

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom