Tezal
Newly Registered User

Tezal is on a distinguished road
Re: Using Triggers in Access 2016

Hi,

this is what I used:

Data Macro "After Insert"

Command > SetLocalVar , expression: ="=TestMe()"
(I read a post saying it is nececssary to use 2 "=", including the one already there. tried both though)

Function in Module
Module1, Public Function TestMe()

@June7, I can imagine a vba sql insert command working, but that is still not an external application, right?

Tezal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:16 AM   #17
June7
AWF VIP

June7 will become famous soon enough June7 will become famous soon enough

No external app involved in my testing.
June7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:22 AM   #18
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,009 Times in 1,957 Posts
jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light

Tezal,

Here is a link to info on using data macros for audit logging. This was part of my "dabbling" with data macros. There is a sample database that you could review to see if any of it is relevant to your situation. Specific info in post 14 thru 21.
Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:30 AM   #19
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 3,513 Posts
CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light

good link from jdraw. Makes me think that the problem might not be with the macro not being triggered but that the macro cannot actually do what is asked of it (i.e. display the message) since Access is not actually open. Perhaps change the macro to do something else such as insert a record?
CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:02 AM   #20
Tezal
Newly Registered User

Tezal is on a distinguished road

Thanks.

The content of the vba function triggered is not the problem, it works fine when triggered through manual inserting a record. Only when trying to do this with an external application the error occurs, even when a test function contains no code at all.
I'm starting to think it has to do with permissions (window user/uac level) or such.

The ultimate thing I am trying to do here is not even the insert itself, that was just to bridge and trigger the trigger
What I am really trying to do is to get an external application directly trigger a vba function in the Access database, while passing two parameters.
This function does a lot: copy a table, creating and populating an excel file, and email it.
Tezal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:28 AM   #21
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 3,513 Posts
CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light

OK, it's not my area of expertise so I'll butt out

CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: