Write Conflict (1 Viewer)

IanSweet

Local time
Yesterday, 21:27
hoping someone may have come across a solution to this annoying error

I have 2 forms which are open the first form just displays the information, navigation, some coded command buttons etc. and the second form edits the data in the table.

problem is I get a intermittent write conflict error

i have tried both solutions (OnDeactivate / OnActivate ) from the access help pages but the issue remains

I suppose i could redesign the first form to give me all the drop downs and extra fields, but it is neater, easier to code and definitely my preferred solution to use a second form

any thoughts?

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 00:27
Is this app being used in a multi-user environment?

Is it split into a Front End/Back End configuration...with Tables in the Back End and everything else in the Front End?

If so, does each user have a copy of the Front End on their PC?

Linq ;0)>

IanSweet

Local time
not split and not multi user

this is just on my computer and i am the only one using it

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 05:27
Do both forms display data from the same table?
If so, make sure you only have one form open at a time.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 12:27
are both forms in Edit mode?

IanSweet

Local time
Isladogs ... that works ...... need to pass the record id back to the original form but i don't have the error any more

thanks all for the help

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
You're welcome.
Hopefully you can see why that could cause a conflict which Access would be unable to resolve … hence the message.

Sometimes write conflicts can be incredibly difficult to track down. For example when trying to update records in a SQL table containing bit fields with no default value and including nulls. In such cases, Access gets its 'knickers in a twist' and flags up a write conflict. Took me months to track that down some years ago :mad:

EDIT
If you use bound forms there would be no need to pass values back to the original form as the data would just be pulled from the underlying table.
In fact you only need one form which could be opened read only for display purposes or in Edit mode when required

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Isladogs ... that works ...... need to pass the record id back to the original form but i don't have the error any more

thanks all for the help

Well if the first form is for display only and you disallowed Edits etc wouldn't arnelgp's suggstion be that much eaisier?:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom