Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > The Watercooler

Old 06-19-2019, 10:33 PM   #16
Tera
Newly Registered User

Tera is on a distinguished road
Re: I'm OK with this particular use of firearms!

@The_Doc_Man & @Mark_

fortunately or unfortunately I've always been weak in history and most of what you are talking about (both US and our history) is strange to me.

I just can't believe how you compare knife to firearms. Yes, both can be used to kill others, but you can carry a firearm and kill 20 or more in a school, but you can't do it with a knife. You stab the first or if you're lucky the second, but others can stop you or having time to scape. Was it Los vegas where someone killed more than 50 persons from a hotel room window? Can you do it with a knife?

I also can't believe you're insisting gun control is meaningless 'cause outlaws will have their firearms anyway.
Dear friends, you can find outlaws, gangs, evil person in any country. But they are not armed. Have you ever thought how it works for us, Europe and other Asian countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_ View Post
As Doc as alluded to, just because a weapon is "Illegal" doesn't mean those who wish to break the law and use it won't be able to gain access. As far as I know.
I've never been in States and all I know about your country is through news or movies. So it may be because I don't know the situation, but can you explain why? How is it possible in other countries? The last time I heard someone was murdered with a gun in Japan, I can't even remember when it was, a Yakuza shot another one. Was it 5 years ago? or 10? Yes, they may have it, but it's not used daily.

Quote:
Sarin gas is highly restricted, yet it has been used by those who wish to kill.
If you're talking about Sarin used in Japan 20 years ago, again yes. A lot of restricted things may be used. But being restricted makes it being used less. Sarin was used only once in the whole Japan's criminal history. Are you comparing it to your mass shooting? List of Mass shooting in 2019. I even couldn't count it.

Quote:
In recent history, many major powers have confiscated firearms from their citizens prior to using some very inhumane methods of control. Examples would be the Soviet Union, Nazi Germany, and Communist China. Each prevented their citizens from effectively resisting prior to using force to achieve goals.
To be true, I can't even understand what you're trying to tell me. Are you trying to tell me that firearm control is a way to control a nation? And we or other European countries' nation are being controlled in an inhumane methods under the name of law?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
Tera, some of us don't see gun control as the correct answer because (a) people who don't have guns can use knives or make bombs and (b) if they want them badly enough, they can get guns.
First, no they can not get guns. It's not that simple.
Secondly, Well, if gun control is not the answer, would you please explain what would be? Spreading more weapons to have a balance between the count of firearms at both sides? Between those who try to protect their families and the Outlaws?

And as my last point, Most of your crimes are because someone gets mad, Draws his weapon and kills the other one. Just like a Western movie.
He's not an outlaw, he's not a criminal. He just gets mad. And because he has a firearm, he uses it. Just like the driver mentioned in the first post above. Have you ever think about what if he had no firearms with himself? And the other man WAS NOT murdered? Just because of a road rouge? He wouldn't go make a bomb to kill a driver who did something not correct.

Last edited by Tera; 06-19-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Tera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:02 AM   #17
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

I always love how the same people who argue that 'disarming the people leads to fascism' always ignore the existence of the many nations with strict gun control that are also functioning democracies.

But I digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tera View Post
I can't believe how is it possible to have machine guns in states and nobody cares.
Actually, machine guns are MASSIVELY illegal here. There's a federal law on the books and has been for decades that bars the ownership of and sales to private citizens of any firearm that fires more than one bullet per trigger press. There IS a loophole for people who owned such a weapon before the law was passed, but it only applies to a tiny handful of weapons, virtually all of which are in the hands of collectors. It does mean, however, that even taking a semi-auto AR-15 and converting it back into an M-16 is hugely illegal. There are items called bump stocks that get around that ban (they use a mechanism that uses recoil to press the trigger again, simulating automatic fire), but they were criminalized last December, and the courts threw out the various legal challenges to the ban a few months ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frothingslosh For This Useful Post:
Tera (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 01:05 AM   #18
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

Just saw your post on page 2. I'll have to look at it later, as I'm heading off to work now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:50 AM   #19
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,473 Times in 1,390 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Wide spread gun ownership means everyone assumes their opponent is armed. Shooting first becomes the the best chance for survival.

A lot more people end up needlessly dead over misunderstandings like the one in the first post.
Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galaxiom For This Useful Post:
Tera (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 06:32 AM   #20
Tera
Newly Registered User

Tera is on a distinguished road
Re: I'm OK with thisrticular use of firearms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxiom View Post
Wide spread gun ownership means everyone assumes their opponent is armed. Shooting first becomes the the best chance for survival.

A lot more people end up needlessly dead over misunderstandings like the one in the first post.
At last someone's speaking my language
Tera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:35 AM   #21
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough Mark_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tera View Post
@The_Doc_Man & @Mark_

fortunately or unfortunately I've always been weak in history and most of what you are talking about (both US and our history) is strange to me.
I would learn history first.

Japan as a nation has a bad history of killing, raping, and using horrible, horrible behavior towards its neighbors. Ask anyone in China about the past and they will talk of the millions killed by Japan. They can tell you about bouts of plague that still happen from time to time because Japan used biological weapons in China. Further back you will find that Japan is a country who's history is soaked in blood, mainly that of its own people.

As to disarming the populace, that is the FIRST step used by governments that have killed millions of their own people. I'd suggest reading up a bit and learning this type of history, it will give a social context.

If I were to just listen to news, I'd have to go with the feeling Japan had dispensing machines for chemical weapons. How else could people have gotten to them to use? Well, that and everyone in Japan is a pervert that goes into subways to sexually assault people. Fortunately I've learned these sensational stories are exceptions, not the norm.

Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: