Setting Split Form as a Popup Window (1 Viewer)

JustinS1981

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:53
Are split forms able to be set as Popup windows?

I have a Form with the "Default View" set to Single Form and the Popup option set to yes and everything works fine.

I used that same Single Form and only made one change and it stopped working. I changed the "Default View" from Single Form to Split Form.

After the change, Access locks up and the form cannot be seen. When you click the mouse on Access it doesn't do anything except beep. I have to use Ctrl+Alt+Del to close Access.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
I can't replicate the problem in Access 2007.

Linq ;0)>

JustinS1981

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, but I forgot to mention...It will work as a popup window when I click the name of the form listed in the window where all of my objects are. However, If I use the button on my other form it will not work. It will work with a single form, but not the split form. It is supposed to minimize the initial form and open the split form.

Thanks for the help...I really appreciate it!!!

JustinS1981

Registered User.
Local time
The other thing I forgot I have code setup to make the main access window hidden. So all you can see is a main form. I think this may have something to do with it.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
If I use the button on my other form it will not work.
Same answer as above!

The other thing I forgot I have code setup to make the main access window hidden. So all you can see is a main form. I think this may have something to do with it.

That would be my guess. Doing this kind of thing is almost always problematic.

Linq ;0)>

JustinS1981

Registered User.
Local time
Would there be any settings or properties that could be changed to make it work?

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Nothing I know of. As I said, hacks for hiding the Access window are almost always problematic, and some things that can be done with most Form Views cannot be done with the SplitForm View; using that type of view as a Subform comes to mind. For this reason, many experienced developers eschew the use of SplitForms.

Don't know the exact hack you're using to hide the Access window (most require all Forms to be Popup, which is probably the reason for you're trying this, in the first place) but I'd bet it was developed before v2007, when the SplitForm View was available. Even if it was developed after that version, it probably wasn't tested using a SplitForm. Using a SplitForm as a Popup Form is just odder than odd!

Why are you attempting this, to begin with? You can deny the end users the use/access to everything offered when the Access window is present.

Linq ;0)>

JustinS1981

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for helping me. I appreciate your help. I went ahead and just changed it back to a single form and inserted a subform in the Forum and everything is working fine now.

JustinS1981

Registered User.
Local time
I was wanting the splitform for a problem reporting form that I was creating. I wanted users to be able to enter problems into the form and as they add records they will be able to see each record listed in the splitform datasheet. I ended up using a single form and using a subform instead. It seems to be working ok.

I am not home right now so I can't look at the link. Would you be able to explain what the emulated version is and how it works?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 05:53
I'll answer as I'm responsible for it - well myself & fellow AWF user MarkK

It looks like a standard split form & has pretty much the same functionality ...
BUT standard split forms are almost impossible to customise successfully
The emulated split form doesn't have that major disadvantage.

The version (v3) in sample databases https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=294421 has been downloaded over 150 times and until this week I wasn't aware of any issues.

However Gasman has had some issues with it, particularly when using Access 2007.
Hence there have been several updates recently & in the other link given by Gasman you can choose v4, 5, 6 or 7!

To save you time, try v5 or 7:
version 5 - works without errors but the subform has been locked so it can only be edited via the main form
version 7 - subform unlocked & it works perfectly for me but not for Gasman

All versions were built in Access 2010

HTH

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 05:53
Just read the rest of this thread including the bit about hiding the Access window.
Then realised I'd already answered your other post on that topic.

With luck, combining both of my posts, you'll get what you need ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom