Question Combine fields into one field in same record (1 Viewer)

mayestom

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:40
It's in the Equipment_Spec table (Equipment table that we have been referring to). I'd like to attach a copy of the db but it's 4MB is larger then the 2MB limit. The existing data that's in the table still have the description of the field's (cate, item, type) but any new data would have the code like you said.

Attachments

• Equipment_code screen shot.PNG
    Equipment_code screen shot.PNG
    35.1 KB · Views: 89

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 08:40
There should be no Equipment code field in the Equipment table.

mayestom

Registered User.
Local time
I think I’m starting to get it. I think. So I take Equipment_code out of Equipment table and I would put it in my Project table and have a lookup on it that has a record source of the query (that you told me to make) that concatenates the code for me. And places that resulted concatenation in the Equipment_code field which is now in Project table. Am I getting it know?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Not exactly. Equipment_code doesn't exist in any table. This is not a value you store.

Check out the attached database, hopefully that makes things clearer.

Attachments

• EquipmentCode.mdb
    496 KB · Views: 88

mayestom

Registered User.
Local time
So the Project_Equipment field in project form record source the EquipmentCodes query. And every time I select a piece of equipment that would be associated with a project, only the ID number would go into the Project table along with the project it’s associated with. But the code is what’s displayed. So the code only exists on the form and in the query. It’s never entered into a table field. Am I getting it now?

mayestom

Registered User.
Local time
I'll cross that bridge when I get to it :)
plog thank you for all your time and effort you put into helping me with this. I really appreciate your help. And I also can't forget to thank CJ London.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
No problem, but I do recommend you get your tables correct before you go building forms and reports on them. Tables are the foundation of your database, getting them right is the first step of building a database.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom