Are multiple and different FEs an option (1 Viewer)

Zydeceltico

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:58
Hi all -

I'm wondering if Access will allow me or is capable of having two different front ends.

The majority of our data collection is going to be done with a FE on a tablet walking around several manufacturing plants.

There is a considerable amount of desktop work that could be done as well that would be different from the data collection work.

In fact, we have three plants and they all have separate dbs currently. Two of the three function just fine for what the other two plants require. I am working on the third - and primary one. Currently I have linked them together to 1) see if I could do it (I succeeded) and 2) my co-workers love having all the dbs "under one roof" so to speak.

But I can see how this could get cumbersome on our data collection tablets.

Is it possible to create two different front ends?

Thanks,

Tim

Zydeceltico

Registered User.
Local time
Hi all -

I'm wondering if Access will allow me or is capable of having two different front ends.

The majority of our data collection is going to be done with a FE on a tablet walking around several manufacturing plants.

There is a considerable amount of desktop work that could be done as well that would be different from the data collection work.

In fact, we have three plants and they all have separate dbs currently. Two of the three function just fine for what the other two plants require. I am working on the third - and primary one. Currently I have linked them together to 1) see if I could do it (I succeeded) and 2) my co-workers love having all the dbs "under one roof" so to speak.

Thanks,

Tim

I suppose I could just create yet another DB that would be more smoke and mirrors than a db and use it on the desktops. This db could link everything together in a different functional way and nobody would actually know - or care - that it is yet another db (actually just an "Access-packaged GUI Switchboard).

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:58
Hi all -

Thanks,

Tim
Actually, some people decide to create separate FEs for different users rather than develop a complicated login security and user permissions. For example, rather than have the user log in and then assign a role of either admin or user, it's possible to create an FE for admins and a limited version of the FE for the regular users.

Zydeceltico

Registered User.
Local time
Actually, some people decide to create separate FEs for different users rather than develop a complicated login security and user permissions. For example, rather than have the user log in and then assign a role of either admin or user, it's possible to create an FE for admins and a limited version of the FE for the regular users.

That’s more in line with what I’m after. what’s the basic skinny on how to go about that?

deletedT

Local time
Today, 04:58
FE is a collection of forms, reports, modules and macros. You can have as many FEs as you like for a single database.

I have a SQL back end and several completely different FEs to simplify things.
FE for Manufacturing department, Sales, part Purchase office, Incoming orders.
They are different and access the same database.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
That’s more in line with what I’m after. what’s the basic skinny on how to go about that?
Hi Tim. It's really up to you. Let's take the security issue. You could either design the form to include everything an admin can do and then make a copy of the admin FE and start deleting the stuff regular users can't do. Or, start out with a user FE with limited functionality and then make a copy to add advance features. Either way, you create one thing and then make a copy of it to modify the copy for another purpose.

Zydeceltico

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Tim. It's really up to you. Let's take the security issue. You could either design the form to include everything an admin can do and then make a copy of the admin FE and start deleting the stuff regular users can't do. Or, start out with a user FE with limited functionality and then make a copy to add advance features. Either way, you create one thing and then make a copy of it to modify the copy for another purpose.

A-ha. The straight ahead approach. THX

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
A-ha. The straight ahead approach. THX
Right, and you can also link and unlink some tables based on the user needs. So, both FE doesn't have to have the same tables in it.

Zydeceltico

Registered User.
Local time
Right, and you can also link and unlink some tables based on the user needs. So, both FE doesn't have to have the same tables in it.

And that would be basically the same approach I am assuming.

I would likely go with "create the admin" FE and subtract from it for other user's FEs.

So....basically once I have an admin FE and duplicated it and subtracted forms and de-linked some tables - I would then have a second FE if I am understanding correctly. Yeah - I suppose I would because the FE is standalone by nature so nothing that I do to one directly will affect any other one.

Got it. THX!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
And that would be basically the same approach I am assuming.

I would likely go with "create the admin" FE and subtract from it for other user's FEs.

So....basically once I have an admin FE and duplicated it and subtracted forms and de-linked some tables - I would then have a second FE if I am understanding correctly. Yeah - I suppose I would because the FE is standalone by nature so nothing that I do to one directly will affect any other one.

Got it. THX!
That's correct and you're welcome. Good luck!

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Don't forget - that approach means if you add a report, it needs to be added to how many fe's and redistributed to how many people?

I've never done so, but you could entertain the notion of having library a db that holds all the forms/reports etc. for everyone. Then plant1 fe code would only be able to load plant1 forms, plant2 only plant 2 forms, etc. Of course, both the fe's and library db would be compiled as accde in order to prevent monkey business. You add a report to only the library. The syntax to open a form from a library is a bit different, but I have done so in playing around:

DoCmd.OpenForm LibraryDbName.FormOpen("form1")

Zydeceltico

Registered User.
Local time
Don't forget - that approach means if you add a report, it needs to be added to how many fe's and redistributed to how many people?

I've never done so, but you could entertain the notion of having library a db that holds all the forms/reports etc. for everyone. Then plant1 fe code would only be able to load plant1 forms, plant2 only plant 2 forms, etc. Of course, both the fe's and library db would be compiled as accde in order to prevent monkey business. You add a report to only the library. The syntax to open a form from a library is a bit different, but I have done so in playing around:

DoCmd.OpenForm LibraryDbName.FormOpen("form1")

Fortunately for my access-novitiate-self, there really won't be more than 4 FE-types: admin (my desk only), collection (2 tablets - 3 at the most), general review and limited note editing, and pure read-only reports. Reports will be the same across all FEs. Collection will likely not even have reports.

I like the notion of a library db for the reports. I can see how that would be structured and utilized.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Fortunately for my access-novitiate-self, there really won't be more than 4 FE-types: admin (my desk only), collection (2 tablets - 3 at the most), general review and limited note editing, and pure read-only reports. Reports will be the same across all FEs. Collection will likely not even have reports.

I like the notion of a library db for the reports. I can see how that would be structured and utilized.
Too bad. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. Have 24 forms and collection should only be able to get at 2 of them? Then collection fe only has code to call those 2. Need to add a form for collection only? You add 1 form to the library and only modify code in the master collection db, compile that as fe and distribute to those 2 tablets. Oh well, I never was very good at selling!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Tim
Yes it's certainly possible to do this.
For example, my UK Postal Address Finder app is available in 4 versions - Professional, Standard, Tablet and Evaluation. (P,S,T & E). See http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/uk-postal-address-finder/4594138311

The P and S versions have the same network BE and the T version has a cut down local BE both for smaller disk space and so it can work independently.
The E version is a time limited trial use edition of the Pro version for a standalone machine so also has a local BE The FE of each has the same code but different features are available in each.

Just to complicate matters further, when purchasing, users select the number of concurrent users allowed (1,3,5,10,site). So there are a total of 12 variations available to purchase / download. The price reflects the version and number of concurrent users allowed

I hope that makes sense. Although not the same idea as different user type FEs, it is functionally the same as you are suggesting.

For me as the developer, a crucial point is that I only need to develop one FE - the Pro version. When its ready for release, I have a routine which switches versions at the click of a button...and, as appropriate for the version, swops the BE as well.

Last edited:

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
One alternative I have is to have different switchboard options. (I use the A2003 switchboard). I have alternate switchboard items tables for different (classes of) users, and just switch in the appropriate set at each user login.

Each user then gets appropriate options through his switchboard.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Just to clarify that depending on permissions, users also see different versions of 'switchboard type' main menu forms in both the app I mentioned and in my other split databases.
Once again the point is that only one FE needs developing though end users will see something very different depending on user permissions.

Also I reuse many modules in multiple applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom