Acess 2010 - outlook for consulting (1 Viewer)

Will Access 2010 be good for Consultanting

• Big Demand - Companies have it on radar in 2011

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhat - but don't invest time until you get a contract

• It is another Access 2003 - Go pan for gold instead

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 07:26
What do people feel the outlook for Microsoft Access 2010 will be in 2011?
Microsoft is indicating that Access 2010 is better integrated with Sharepoint and other services.

As an independent programming / dba consultant for Access and SQL Server, the MAPS program I just joined provided me with all the new applications. My present assignment end on November 1, 2010.

Typically, companies don't make decisions to hire until January.
My time and resources (just me) are limited.

Would my time be better spent taking advantage of the Access 2010, SQL, and Share Point 2010 on-line courses MAPS provides?

Or, would my time be better spend panning for gold in the Rocky Mountains?

Your comments would really be appreciated.

the_net_2.0

Banned
Local time
Today, 08:26
Rx,

In all honesty, at this point in time I would not rely on being an Access programmer or independent consultant fulltime. I don't know for sure, but I'm willing to bet that very few people make a good living doing it without another full time job.

I would do it on the side if I were you. A lot of people I know around here do things like that because they're passionate about it, but they also have a full time job with another company for insurance, security, etc...

accessfleet

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:26
Companies like to keep current, but I think that means opening a 2003 db in 2007. Adjusting to the "NEW" and then saving as 2007 and the cycle repeats it's self.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 13:26
Unfortunately a lot of the people that should be hiring you aren't knowledgable enough to know how much a boon it could be to them.

There's a lot of management which should be concentrating on getting to grips with practical ability to cope with information rather than sitting MBAs

It a reason why MBAs have gone somewhat out of fashion.

I would stick with a full time job and try and find a business that you can be really interested in and see if you can help them out. Its a bit like the web design business clients just don't seem to be asking the right questions. Unfortunately as companies constantly change things every few years I think it diminishes the market because just as management are starting to understanding concepts they loose it with new software.

I think its one of the underlying reasons for the current credit crisis. People in particular managers believing what they want to hear rather than taking the time to go and get to grips with the figures I remember listening a programmer who was involved in creating the software that created the sub prime market. He had a clear idea of the underlying weaknesses of repackaging bad debt. He became an Oyster farmer presumably getting out pretty much without problems.

Last edited:

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I make my living as a small business creating databases for other small businesses.

It's not easy, and only about 10% of your success will be derived from your knowledge of databases or software. The rest will be blood, sweat, and tears.

In small business, the spoils go to the strong. And strong is a state that exists in the mind of the one competing.

accessfleet

Registered User.
Local time
Big shots are really just little shots who kept shooting. That is one of the reasons I am updating my skills as a Fleet Manager by learning Access2007 and developing my own AccessFleet.

I'll likely never be a big shot, but if my effort makes my work eaiser and becomes part of my legacy, OK...

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Big shots are really just little shots who kept shooting. That is one of the reasons I am updating my skills as a Fleet Manager by learning Access2007 and developing my own AccessFleet.

I'll likely never be a big shot, but if my effort makes my work eaiser and becomes part of my legacy, OK...

What is a Fleet Manager?

accessfleet

Registered User.
Local time
Good Question Thales750:

I manage a Municiple fleet, includes Police, Fire, Trash trucks, offroad equipment, Golf course. Around 400 units, 3 mechanics and 1 retirement vacancy.

Bid Spec Development and purchase, vehicle registration and title management surplus auction.

Parts management, 6000+ as you can imagine with so many varied types, years, makes & models

Vehicle scheduling, repair and maintenance.

Data management, Cost accounting and departmental reporting.

Have a good day, all year long.

John..

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 13:26
AccessFleet can I just ask how people manage that kind of thing if they can't write their own databases??

accessfleet

Registered User.
Local time
There are a number of database programs availible. Most require that you adopt thier methods. They will get the job done if you can accept the position that they know more about your business than you do.

You will hear things like "well in order to support our product we don't make every change the customer requests. The one's that do get made must be something that benefits all of our users.

or even better " If you'll only try our way, we think you will agree it is better.

Product support is worth paying for, but paying someone to not support your need for changes or improvements because they think, even say outloud, "we know more about your software needs than you do" is not.

Well, if they think they know more than the thirty-five years of experience has taught me, I guess they have some belly over the fender time of their own to do.

When you spend a lot of time figuring out why something isn't working right, it is a real waste of time not to fix it. So developing a program that works the way you do in your orginization seem's to be a reasonible change of pace in the last years of your "my" work life.

pjs

Local time
Today, 15:26
John
go to mevaprod.co.za, scroll down home page and download the FleetComplete presentation. Written in Access 7, it may give you some ideas. Running 40 users on Terminal Services.

Regards

John

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Surveys: My problem with salary surveys is that they exclude those who are looking for work. So, in theory, 90% of the people a year ago could be out of work and this is the results of those who survived. Or, the market has grown 400% and these are the one's who survived. And, we could debate other plus and minus as well.
But, please, lets not debate the merrits of a salary survey.

What is important to me is the trend.
1. Skills
While this survey suggest it is technical skills, my feeling is that the skills for a Business Process (i.e. Fleet Management, Permitting, Accounting, Oil/Gas, reposessions, foreclosures, ...) might be more key to some of success than indicated.
2. Supply / Demand / Expectations
This article shows that most IT people are "under stress" to do more jobs than before. Most likely as companies cut staff numbers to survive, they expect the remaining staff to pick up the work of the missing.

Not saying that any of this is good or bad, just a comment on the IT work environment.

At any rate, I found this survey and a few articles worthwhile.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...vey_2011?source=CTWNLE_nlt_dailyam_2011-04-04

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
One persons experience, this does not constitute a trend:
The three month contract last year to upgrade Access 2000 to 2007 is now running in its 13 th month. The first three weeks added more VBA code than the previous three years. RI, Data Quality, Logging, and Business Rules are now expected instead of optional. The Citrix redesign now allows many users to log in, the user group has grown. Most reports are created by a custom user switchboard that generates custom Excel workbooks that include custom formulas and other features.
The speciality is Oil / Gas permitting and upstream management. Lots of legal subject matter expertiese required.

Have not posted a resume on Dice for over 2 years now. Last month, received three phone calls for Access / SQL Server / Excel Object Model Programming related opportunities. Two of three were in Oil / Gas.

Mixed signal about Sharepoint after going to meetings. Evidently, with one or two successes of Sharepoint 2010, the salaries can be much better than Access. But, the Sharepoint 2010 learning curve is evidently very steep, even for those who have been programming Sharepoint for 5 years. So, the question for me becomes a ROI.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
One persons experience, this does not constitute a trend:
The three month contract last year to upgrade Access 2000 to 2007 is now running in its 13 th month. The first three weeks added more VBA code than the previous three years. RI, Data Quality, Logging, and Business Rules are now expected instead of optional. The Citrix redesign now allows many users to log in, the user group has grown. Most reports are created by a custom user switchboard that generates custom Excel workbooks that include custom formulas and other features.
The speciality is Oil / Gas permitting and upstream management. Lots of legal subject matter expertiese required.

Have not posted a resume on Dice for over 2 years now. Last month, received three phone calls for Access / SQL Server / Excel Object Model Programming related opportunities. Two of three were in Oil / Gas.

Mixed signal about Sharepoint after going to meetings. Evidently, with one or two successes of Sharepoint 2010, the salaries can be much better than Access. But, the Sharepoint 2010 learning curve is evidently very steep, even for those who have been programming Sharepoint for 5 years. So, the question for me becomes a ROI.

Become a Microsoft Partner and get the developer package for a few hundred dollars. And learn ASP.net

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
B.T.W.
I did that. It is known as the MAPS for those of you reading this.
Best deal (and move) ever for any programmer.

I have not personally put all of it to use just yet.
As an hourly consultant, there has been a lot of overtime for me.
Then, my former company called me to work Friday evenings and Saturday.
It is kind of a "its raining in the desert, so stop everything and get outside with buckets"
It has been a really good year for that and my other business.

Excellent advice.

Once things slow down.... it will be my first priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom