DRM and PC Gaming (1 Viewer)

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:43
To prove my first point about what can be done can be undone Spore was cracked within 2 days of release (4 days before it was released in the US and UK) so that no online activation was required.

CraigDolphin

GrumpyOldMan in Training
Local time
Today, 03:43
Absolutely true. And yet they persist in alienating their customer with restrictions that have zero impact on piracy in order to....what...fight piracy? Puh-lease. :rolleyes:

CraigDolphin

GrumpyOldMan in Training
Local time
Well, to give due credit...Bioware just announced their next big game, Dragon Age: Origins will feature a return to simple disk checks without the malware and online activation requirements. :D

That's two thumbs up from me :)

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
Today, 10:43
DRM really winds me up. I buy a DVD, then every time I watch it, I have to sit through a sermon about how I shouldn't buy pirate copies. But I didn't do that - I bought the bl**dy thing!

Not only is this shoddy targeting, but it's counter-productive - because I don't want to sit through the lecture, I've sought out software to enable me to re-author the DVD without the preachy bit. I keep the original DVD in storage and watch the hacked copy.

So the rights management action pushed me - a reasonably law-abiding citizen - one step closer to piracy than would have happened if they just let me watch the film.

CraigDolphin

GrumpyOldMan in Training
Local time
Yeah it can be a pain. That's probably how Spore wound up the most pirated pc game in 2008 too :(

570rm47

Registered User.
Local time
i will admit that im a part-time pirate but not now with all this new stuff going down here in nz,
but i will say that every game or piece of software that i have used an illegal copy of that has proved itself out has made me go and buy a legitimate copy.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 06:43
i will admit that im a part-time pirate but not now with all this new stuff going down here in nz,
but i will say that every game or piece of software that i have used an illegal copy of that has proved itself out has made me go and buy a legitimate copy.
Along those lines, why pay for a game that may not work or that you may not like when there is NO hope of getting a refund!!! I would say, that the industry is "creating" piracy by treating the consumer as someone to gouge.

How To Turn A Legitimate Buyer Into A Pirate In Five Easy Steps

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom