any point in 360 (1 Viewer)

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:09
is there any point me getting my son a XBox 360 now that BluRay appears to have won, or is PS3 better

given that he has PS2 and PSP

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 07:09
PS3, hands down. They will have much better releases. There's not much on the Xbox360 I find worth playing.

DreamOn

Local time
i have a PS3 and a Xbox 360 and i find that x360 is way better than the PS3..

MS was looking into making a deal with sony to get a bluray addon for x360.

Local time
Today, 06:09
There are quite a few advantages to the 360 in online play. However, I've found most of the games my son wants to play on the 360 are quite violent/bloody (good thing we live in Texas!).

But seriously, we monitor his play time and when he starts acting crazy, we make him read a book or do housework.

rsmonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:09
I've got a 360 and ps3.. and my ps3 is a dvd player! the games are rubbish, I find the 360's gameplay has a much better flow and is more enjoyable to play and their are tonnes better games out thier for the 360.

Dom DXecutioner

AWF VIP
Local time
hi there,

personally i have a ps2, xbox and xbox 360. i've played the PS3 and i'm not that impressed.

the xbox 360 has a much better user interface and navigational system then the ps3 and i really like the achievements feature, though i'm not sure if the ps3 hosts a similar feature :(

the online play is pretty much the same and it's mostly related to the game developer; however, the ps3 allows you to play online for free, while xbox 360 you must purchance a premium membership to actually play; at least you can still download advertisements... um, i meant game videos/demos ;)

as for the games themselves, well, that's a tuff one... it appears that xbox 360 is mostly geared towards teens and young adults; most of the games are pretty bloody but in some cases you can turn that feature off, but in all fairness, the ps2 also has some pretty violent games, i.e. God of War, Grand Theft Auto

i could not see my self being a console owner and not playing Gears of War on the xbox 360; in my opinion one of the best games ever developed, even better than halo

just my 2 cents

adam12

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:09
Nothing is better than Halo, only equal to. Gears of War is an excellent game, but you can't match the story line or intense one on one battles that Halo brings to the fore front. I mean come on, their even making a movie about it...!!!

By the way, Xbox360 is cheaper than PS3, so keep that in mind.

Dom DXecutioner

AWF VIP
Local time
I mean come on, their even making a movie about it...!!!

true, but by the same token, Gears of War is also being made into a movie... might i add that Halo has been out way before Gears and the movies are coming out about the same time :)

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:09
Consoles... who needs them...

Get a decent PC, games for the kids and programs for the adult.
Offcourse this doesnt mean we could not sneak a game or two in there... I find PC > Console any day.

tehNellie

Registered User.
Local time
I mean come on, their even making a movie about it...!!!

That's hardly indicative of the quality of the game (or even more so the movie).

I'm a PC gamer so my view of the 360 is it does PC games for people who don't want to have to bother with a PC and don't mind losing the TV while the console is in use. It's not that great at everyone sitting on the sofa playing games compared to the PS or the Wii but if you want to kill other people and call them "homos" online then the 360 comes out top.

Aside from Games I think the PS3 has better options for doing other stuff. They both do internet and both can be used as a "media centre" to play movies and music off the PC but bizarrely I'm led to believe that the PS3 is stronger in this respect.

There's also the small matter that the PS3 is still one of the cheapest Blu-Ray players on the market in addition to all the PS stuff though there's still issues with playing PS2 stuff on the PS3 depending on which variant you get.

Call_Me_Sam

Chief Imperial Navigator
Local time
is there any point me getting my son a XBox 360 now that BluRay appears to have won, or is PS3 better

given that he has PS2 and PSP

Gemma,

our son constantly bugged us for a 360, as he'd grown bored of the gamecube (his choice!) ...AND after months and months of batting him off, we went for the 360..saying it was the family's console. He played it constantly for weeks...Live became boring for him, he only played one or two games, bought Assasins Creed (that's collecting dust now)..guitar hero 2 and 3..both guitars are getting bashed by the hover as they are left to rot...so IMHO i'll be saving my money and sticking with Warhammer DoW and letting the sound of War drown out his remarks of how we are stagnating his childhood and that he is the Oliver Twist of the school year..!! :D

dapfeifer

Bringing Maverick Mojo
Local time
If you are looking for value in a console, the PS3 is the way to go. Considering it is practically a computer/media center on its own, plus a blu-ray player, its a simple decision, and considering a stand-alone bluray is still in the $350-$400 range, if you go with the 40GB model you're practically getting a blu-ray player with a high-end gaming console built in.

However, that's not to say that the 360 has nothing to offer. It does have a DVD player and up to 1080p output just like the PS3. While HD-DVD did lose the format wars, I would expect a bluray attachment at some point. Xbox Live is easily the leader in online gaming, despite having to pay for the service. Sony and Nintendo both are lagging behind (possibly pun intended) with online gaming when compared to Microsoft.

Final thoughts:
If you are looking long-term for a console, probably go with the PS3. It has a much more powerful processor that has yet to be fully taken advantage of, but once it does expect some incredible games both visually and in gameplay. PS3 online isn't bad, but its got some work to do.

If going short-term, probably look more at a 360. They have a massive game library of games for nearly any gaming type, and playing with/against other people across xbox live only adds to the lives of these games. They should eventually get a blu-ray addition too, so that may be worth the wait as well.

BTW...buy.com has refurb. xbox 360 premiums for $199.99 (last i checked still available). Just throwing that out there.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
I like the 360, coming from PS (both ps and ps2). But there are two things I don't like, lack of games I like such as norrath/balders gate and platformers and the fact that the current games are pretty short (result of good video on a dvd sized disk maybe).
I like shooters also, so Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty are great. But like I just got done playing COD4 and it is really short. Good graphics, but short game. I think I would go with lesser graphic for a longer game, or get a different disc reader (like BluRay) that can hold more. Also having to buy an add-on wireless adapter sucked, but it does work fine. I may go for a PS3 laster to get those other games I miss. I have a BluRay player, and was debating on a BR player or a PS3, and researching it the PS3 BR player is not up to the quality of a dedicated BR player, that and the wife could care less about a PS3....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom