Laptop or Ultrabook for MS Access work (1 Viewer)

phinix

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:18
Guys, I'm after a laptop for Access databases work.
Not 100% sure what specification would be best for it.
I believe Access doesn't use HT? Does it mean that having 4 cores won't make difference compared to i7 dual core with HT?

Would something like Dell XPS 13 MLK be ok for it?
It's a ultrabook with i7-3537U Processor (with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.10 GHz).
It would have 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD.

Right now I work on desktop i5 2400 3GHz CPU. Now I need to go mobile and need to get a laptop. Would this mobile i7 CPU make huge difference compared to this desktop version of i5? It is slower but would it make a difference for Access?
What system resources are most important for MS Access? I know already that SSD makes huge difference. 8GB is a must for me, noticed it many time working on few databases at the same time. What about CPU? New Haswell i7 4500U is almost same as ivy i7-3537U, so would I notice a difference using either of those i7 compared to my desktop i5?

Last edited:

phinix

Registered User.
Local time
What I want to know is CPU influence on Access processing.
Does Access use multiple cores? or Hyper threading?
Having same spec but different CPUs - one dual core, one quad - would I see a huge difference between those two? Would quad core be lot faster than dual core CPU?

phinix

Registered User.
Local time
54 views and no reply?
Maybe it's in wrong section?

Timo van Esch

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:18
Hi,

As far as I know, Access 2007, as a process, not only as a database, can only be started on 1 core. But I am not sure; it is why I stumbled upon your question. I am basically looking for a way to speed things up and let Access use multiple cores...

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
As far as I know Access (all versions) run on 1 CPU core, hyper threading is the realm of the O/S essentially multi core CPU(s) allow you to run multiple applications at the same time hyper threading can increase the efficiency of an application within a core providing it is designed to work that way (with the O/S).

The key to running most applications faster, if the CPU can run the app without maxing out, is RAM and hard drive read/ write speed so a SSD drive is good choice. In theory anything can run faster if you throw more CPU, RAM and HD power at it so as I usually say get the fastest machine you can afford with the most bang for buck if that's what you need.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:18
Disk I/O is definately one of the more limitting factors of any database now a days, access more so than i.e. Oracle or mySQL, since its I/O goes on the local machine or on the network.

5400 rpm laptop harddrives can cause some issues here and there when you have heavy I/O

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom