MS Access EOL (1 Viewer)

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 06:01
I have decided that Marketing per-se is not evil.

It is the act of selling which is evil.

It pollutes everything it touches. Marketing departments / Politicians (of all persuasions ) / Tender processes / managers / consultants.

Whenever and wherever someone is trying to give or sell you something the act of which will benefit the person doing that giving or selling the temptation is to positively spin - it absolutely sucks in all but the strongest - If they are never involved in delivery this is completely fatal. The further away delivery is the absolutely worse it is. The bigger the project is the more dangerous it is. The less you know about the thing you are buying the more dangerous it is. Managers often even select consultants that re-in-force their opinion and fire those that don't because you got it they are selling themselves.

Whenever someone is trying to sell you something seek independent advice from someone who has absolutely zero financial interest but hopefully is nonetheless knowledgeable on the subject.

This is what gives forums and blogs such value - they are a true source of completely independent impartial advice.

Last edited:

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 01:01
I have decided that Marketing per-se is not evil.

It is the act of selling which is evil.

It pollutes everything it touches. Marketing departments / Politicians (of all persuasions ) / Tender processes / managers / consultants.

Whenever and wherever someone is trying to give or sell you something the act of which will benefit the person doing that giving or selling the temptation is to positively spin - it absolutely sucks in all but the strongest - If they are never involved in delivery this is completely fatal. The further away delivery is the absolutely worse it is. The bigger the project is the more dangerous it is. The less you know about the thing you are buying the more dangerous it is. Managers often even select consultants that re-in-force their opinion and fire those that don't because you got it they are selling themselves.

Whenever someone is trying to sell you something seek independent advice from someone who has absolutely zero financial interest but hopefully is nonetheless knowledgeable on the subject.

This is what gives forums and blogs such value - they are a true source of completely independent impartial advice.

Amen, Well said

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Some ActiveX controls won't work in 64 bit. Another reason to avoid them as far as possible?

Are you aware of the use of conditional compiling for API declarations?

That is one of my issues, my applications are heavily impregnated with ActiveX controls mainly because they are much more versatile and formattable than Form controls which are really basic, hence my frustrations..

Not familiar with API Declarations, please explain?

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:01
Just remember that a former head of Microsoft once said that they were a marketing company not a software company.

You wonder how good their products could be.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:01
In a sense, Microsoft began because Bill Gates wasn't a coding genius. He was a "see a need and fill it" genius. Early versions of Windows were just layers on top of DOS because the arcane commands of a command-line system were too much for most people. The GUI interface for the then nascent home computer industry was the need he filled. It made computers more usable for the folks who don't like/understand command lines and scripting. He created a GUI for folks who didn't have a CLUI.

Marketing, on the other hand, typically is a "find a product and create a need" operation. Which is why I used to cringe whenever Ron Popeil and his "Pocket xxxx" pitches aired on the TV. Never mind that the guy became a multi-millionaire.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
In a sense, Microsoft began because Bill Gates wasn't a coding genius. He was a "see a need and fill it" genius. Early versions of Windows were just layers on top of DOS because the arcane commands of a command-line system were too much for most people. The GUI interface for the then nascent home computer industry was the need he filled. It made computers more usable for the folks who don't like/understand command lines and scripting. He created a GUI for folks who didn't have a CLUI.

Marketing, on the other hand, typically is a "find a product and create a need" operation. Which is why I used to cringe whenever Ron Popeil and his "Pocket xxxx" pitches aired on the TV. Never mind that the guy became a multi-millionaire.

I had an advertising course in college. One of the assignments was to come up with a new twist on an old product. An example that was given us was stripe toothpaste. Same ingredients, but one ingredient was colored red.

I came up with "Complete" instant coffee with cream and sugar already in it.
I got a "B"

I brought up a book I had purchase about subliminal advertising and was castigated, just as the author of the book predicated.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
I had an advertising course in college. One of the assignments was to come up with a new twist on an old product. An example that was given us was stripe toothpaste. Same ingredients, but one ingredient was colored red.

I came up with "Complete" instant coffee with cream and sugar already in it.
I got a "B"

I brought up a book I had purchase about subliminal advertising and was castigated, just as the author of the book predicated.
Unfortunately I am missing the entrepreneurial gene. Many years ago, my light-bulb went off while writing some printer code. I idly dreamed it would be nice if a chips were installed in printers to identify it to the computer. Obviously, others came-up with the solution and made-off with the big $$$$$. Given today's litigious environment, maybe I should sue for royalties!!! Nah, makes for a good self-depreciating story of opportunities lost.

For a marketing class (before cell phones, call blocking, and caller ID became popular), I proposed an answering machine that would not let the phone ring unless the caller had the unlock code. Maybe there is still room for this thought as a money making venture. That will be for others to pursue.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
That is one of my issues, my applications are heavily impregnated with ActiveX controls mainly because they are much more versatile and formattable than Form controls which are really basic, hence my frustrations..

Not familiar with API Declarations, please explain?

Sorry about delay replying - I overlooked this

API declarations add additional functionality to Access databases.
There are a huge variety of APIs & although I use them extensively, I'm certainly no expert on their use.
For an extensive list of APIs, see this link:

http://vb.mvps.org/samples/apixref.asp

Each API used needs to be declared at the start of a module
For example:

Code:
 Public Declare Function ShowWindow Lib "user32" Alias "ShowWindow" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal nCmdShow As Long) As Long

However that needs to be altered to work in 64-bit Access:

Code:
 Public Declare [COLOR="red"]PtrSafe[/COLOR] Function ShowWindow Lib "user32" Alias "ShowWindow" (ByVal hwnd As [COLOR="red"]LongPtr[/COLOR], ByVal nCmdShow As Long) As Long

...and that won't work in 32-bit Access!!!! Sigh!

So the solution is conditional compiling

Code:
#If Win64 Then 'need PtrSafe and datatype LongPtr
   Public Declare [COLOR="red"]PtrSafe[/COLOR] Function ShowWindow Lib "user32" Alias "ShowWindow" (ByVal hwnd As [COLOR="red"]LongPtr[/COLOR], ByVal nCmdShow As Long) As Long
#Else '32-bit Office
  Public Declare Function ShowWindow Lib "user32" Alias "ShowWindow" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal nCmdShow As Long) As Long
#End If

Access will check & use the relevant version so everyone's happy!

Confused yet?

For a much better & more detailed explanation, see:
http://codekabinett.com/rdumps.php?Lang=2&targetDoc=windows-api-declaration-vba-64-bit

nfk

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:01
f* hell, I wasnt talking about moving to Linux based OS... I was talking about moving away from access... I'm a .NET dev I work with Windows and will probably do until I move into strip club management at some point...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom