Compatibility Question between 2010 and 2016 (1 Viewer)

frustrating

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:50
Hey everyone,

I have a database that was developed in 2010. I know there's a compatibility issues from developing in 2016 and having it be backwards compatible (object library 16 vs 14), but I thought things should be ok if it was developed in 2010 and viewed on 2016.

What I found is that the program worked correctly in 2016, but when viewed again in 2010, it was trying to use the 16 object library and I was getting errors.

Is there a way to support this? I mean, at the very least I could run two versions of the front end and check to see what version the user is using and route them to that particular front end, but is there a cleaner way?

Thank you so much for your help.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 10:50
Hey everyone,

I have a database that was developed in 2010. I know there's a compatibility issues from developing in 2016 and having it be backwards compatible (object library 16 vs 14), but I thought things should be ok if it was developed in 2010 and viewed on 2016.

What I found is that the program worked correctly in 2016, but when viewed again in 2010, it was trying to use the 16 object library and I was getting errors.

Is there a way to support this? I mean, at the very least I could run two versions of the front end and check to see what version the user is using and route them to that particular front end, but is there a cleaner way?

Thank you so much for your help.

Hi
It's a problem I share...
It WILL happen EVERY time you open the database in Access 2016.
The worst offender seems to be the Excel reference library

If you have both versions of Access on the same computer, the easiest solution is to repair Office 2010 (Control Panel...Programs) which will update the registry entries

If these 2 versions are on different computers, just reinstate the original references.
This post may be helpful to get the reference locations:
https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=293716

Alternatively use late binding to replace all the version specific references then you can delete them from the list. Problem solved!

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It's hard to understand how you have a single database that you then try to open with different versions of access/office

Are you putting the database on a server, and then having multiple users all using that same instance.

What you need to do is deploy the database so that each user uses a "personal" copy of the database. That way the references for each user will get set as appropriate.

frustrating

Registered User.
Local time
It's on a shared network where a user could potentially have a different version of Access.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Dave

Not sure if you're asking me or the OP ...

In my case I have both versions on the same machine for development purposes so I can test in each before releasing to clients.

I really should use a VM instead but there are reasons for not doing so (apart from pure laziness that is!)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
It's on a shared network where a user could potentially have a different version of Access.

As Dave(Gemma) said - each user should have their own local copy of the Front End (FE) database.
If they don't a) You'll get the issue you have, and b) You are highly likely to suffer from corruption and other issues of using a shared FE over a network.

frustrating

Registered User.
Local time
Hi
It's a problem I share...
It WILL happen EVERY time you open the database in Access 2016.
The worst offender seems to be the Excel reference library

If you have both versions of Access on the same computer, the easiest solution is to repair Office 2010 (Control Panel...Programs) which will update the registry entries

If these 2 versions are on different computers, just reinstate the original references.
This post may be helpful to get the reference locations:
https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=293716

Alternatively use late binding to replace all the version specific references then you can delete them from the list. Problem solved!

Thanks. I was able to fix the issue by decompiling and setting the references back to 14.

Letting each user have their own front end should work well. I worry about any updates being pushed out. Any good techniques to ensure they're using the latest version or are always up to date? I have some ideas, but what is best practice?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Have a search on here or google for AutoUpdate front end. There are good proven examples out there.

By doing this you should always develop in the lowest used version, and your users versions will automatically sort themselves out. I personally just use late binding, as it saves any messing about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom