Question Access help system in 2010 version (1 Viewer)

ponneri

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:48
Hi All.

How do I setup the Access 2010 help system, so that I get relevant answers ?

It was so good & user friendly with Access 2007.

With Access 2010, if I search for say Datevalue() or Format(), I get directed to some useless help text where the keywords I use don't reflect at all !

It's so frustrating & waste of time navigating the links provided to no avail.:banghead:

Plz help.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:18
Yeah, at some point the Access help system switched to online topics rather than the excellent built-in stuff. I never figured out the reason they did that. I feel your pain.

Unfortunately, I have no answer for you and haven't seen many other posts on the subject so cannot offer advice other than "think on-line."

While I don't know WHY they did it, I don't doubt for a moment that MS had some sneaky idea to make Bing your favorite search tool. To think of the terrible irony of that statement is to laugh.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 21:18
With Access 2010, if I search for say Datevalue() or Format(), I get directed to some useless help text where the keywords I use don't reflect at all !
How is your Help-file setup?

Attachments

• Helpfile.jpg
    Helpfile.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 215

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:18
Funny, I would have said the reverse! I always found the old help system awkward, and I like the new online system.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

ponneri

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:48
Thank you all.

I work in an envi. where online help system for all Ms-office products is unavailable.

Anyway, I'll try to tweak and see.

AccessJunkie

Senior Managing Editor
Local time
Today, 12:18
Hi,

I think I can help with this one (pun intended). My team oversees all of the end user Help content for Access - content published on support.office.com that is surfaced within the main app help viewers and in the browser.

Are you talking about the Developer Documentation shown within the VBE window of Access? If so, that is owned by a separate team and all of that content is hosted on MSDN.

The team that owns the VBA content has made available an offline copy of the Help files which you might find useful.

Here is the 2013 version:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40326

--------------------
Jeff Conrad - Access Junkie - MVP Alumnus
Senior Content Publishing Manager - Modern Assistance and Support Experience - Microsoft Corporation

Author - Microsoft Access 2013 Inside Out
Author - Microsoft Access 2010 Inside Out
Co-author - Microsoft Office Access 2007 Inside Out
Access 2007/2010/2013 Info: http://www.AccessJunkie.com

----------
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/Copyright/Default.aspx
----------

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:18
How do I setup the Access 2010 help system, so that I get relevant answers ?

Access help has gotten successively worse with each new version. For a very long time, I kept the help files from A97 available. If I didn't already know what I know, I would be lost. The only solution is to complain. Keep in mind that MS does this because it saves THEM work, not because it helps YOU. Why should they go to the bother of creating professional documentation if no one is going to complain that it is missing. I complain enough for 10 people but I am a voice alone.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 21:18
Hello Pat. I would also like to complain, do you have a link to a place where Microsoft developers actually read the complaints?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom