At the Cross Roads (1 Viewer)

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 06:25
Once again, unto the Breach, Dear Friends.

I sit here before you, contemplating the direction my company will take.

What technology would you adopt to give your software a web presence?

I only know Access, so I will have to partner with someone. I have a candidate in mind, but he is a true believer in PHP, so he may be a little trapped in another box.

We are going to need powerful full featured business app at the customer site.

We will need to deploy cloud services to customer field personnel, and our client's customers through hand held devices, as well as laptops and desktops.

As you can see a combination of technologies seems likely. My friend the PHP guys says this can all be done in PHP.

What are your thoughts?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thales750,
FWIW,
A colleague who has authored books on SQL; who worked with PHP and MySQL; as well as SQL Server; early career in dBase and has years of experience with Access, is gung ho on Alpha Anywhere. His comments are that it is web based, easy to learn and extremely easy to deploy on desktop(browser), tablets or smartphone with most any server based backend. I don't use it or know much about it, but I have a lot of respect for him and his experience.

Last edited:

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
In the mean time I have a customer I want to use as a tester.

Remember I know nothing of any development technology other than Access. But with Access I can pretty much make it fit any business requirement.

This is only temporary until I can partner with a web tech guy.

Ok, I was thinking about setting up local backends that would query a MySQL installation on my ISPs servers, it would perform forward updates, meaning no deletions, and edits only in places where there would be no conflicts.

All data would be transmitted periodically and at close and open of databases.

All AutoNumber fields would be changed to random instead of count thus insuring unique primary keys.

Otherwise the front end would look and feel the same.

What do ya'll think?

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I am interested in any evaluation of this plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom