Reports Orientation (1 Viewer)

CyaNTexas

Local time
Yesterday, 21:24
Accomplishments
Parishioner data to be compiled and grouped by families (form needed to capture but in development)
enrolled student data tied to parishioner data and to classes
Student enrollment form developed - (need to add one more tab to capture misc. data)

Current Task:
I am trying to track and manage attendance in Access but have some of the Reports look like an Excel format. I.e. dates across the top, and students names down the y axis.
I know I cant have a query add fields/columns but is there a way to have the orientation of the report change axis? I do not want the report to be presented as a series of lists but as a compiled table as I need to consider the full set of data at one time while still capturing it in the background for archiving purposes. :banghead:
Suggestions?

Many thanks!
Trying to set things up right the first time!

CyaNTex

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 12:24
you need to create a new repirt for it. reports are manually made.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:24
When the columns of the crosstab are variable as they are in this case, you have to use a technique to "fix" them because the report is going to require fixed controls. I've included a sample database that shows how to do this. The report is accessable from the second and third menu items. The third shows you how the selection is controlled. In this example, the column headings are expense types rather than dates but the problem is the same. The expense types are variable and the selected data dictates what headers are in the recordset.

You need to decide on how many columns you want. I chose 10. You can probably go up to 15 or possibly 20 if you use landscape orientation. Any more than that and you'll have trouble formatting the report. Access does not offer a "fit to width" option as Excel does so extra wide reports should probably just be exported to Excel and prettied up there.

The technique I used selects a set of records and posts the values to a temp table where there are 10 records (since that is my maximum). As they get added to the temp table, the column names get assigned a number. In my case, the table looks like the one below. In your case, you would be putting date values into CaptionText and then the report will put whatever is in CaptionText for seq # 3 in column 3 of the report for example. So the label gets changed from "3" to "Electric".

It may take a while to get your head around the example since it is somewhat advanced as is the rest of this particular sample app.
Code:
SeqNum	CaptionText
1	Administration
2	Association Fees
3	Electric
4	Heat
5	Insurance
6	Miscellaneous
7	Miscellaneous Utilities
8	Repair and Maintenance
9	Tax
10	Vacancy and Loss