Thoughts from UK members on where to live (1 Viewer)

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:05
My daughter and son-in-law will be moving soon to the Lakenheath/Mildenhall area northeast of London. They will be looking to rent a home with a yard, since they have dog. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on specific towns/neighborhoods to look (or not look) at in that area.

For that matter, if anyone has any general thoughts on making the move easier, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:05
Be aware that a home with a yard means something entirely different in the UK to the States, ask for a home with a garden instead;)

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Today, 14:05
Someone once told me you could have a lot of fun in Essex.

Wait..... did they mean "one could have a lot of fun" or "YOU could have a lot of fun." I'll ponder that a bit.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thanks Rich, I'll pass that on.

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:05
Be aware that a home with a yard means something entirely different in the UK to the States, ask for a home with a garden instead;)

One of my favourite Aus jokes:

A loud mouth Texan, while visiting an Australian sheep station "Why, I can get on my horse and ride for 3 days and still be on my own property"

Australian - "yeah, I had a horse like that once too"

doesn't solve your problem, but might lighten the load

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 20:05
My daughter and son-in-law will be moving soon to the Lakenheath/Mildenhall area northeast of London.

Are they joining the 100th Air Refueling Wing ;)

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Are they joining the 100th Air Refueling Wing ;)

Daughter will be at that wing; son-in-law flies jets so he'll be at the 48th Fighter Wing at Lakenheath.

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 20:05
Doesn't the Wing provide for homes then ?

A good friend of mine stayed with the RAF in Mildenhall for some two years and they provided for homes/living and all that jazz.

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Today, 19:05
They will be looking to rent a home with a yard, since they have dog.
Thanks!

Not fully up to date but have you checked quarantine regulations on bringing livestock (incl dogs) into UK

Not something I have experience of but worth checking cos last time I heard it was 6 months in Government kennels and strict quarantine. May be some innoculations to avoid this but they may be date sensitive.

L

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I believe they can live on base for a limited amount of time, but not their whole stay. The AF will pay for their housing, but they are responsible for finding it. This may be because they are officers rather than enlisted. I think enlisted people can live on base. I certainly may have misunderstood what she's told me though.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I appreciate the heads-up Len. She has talked with someone at the base there, and she did mention shots and quarantine, and I think they got the dog its shots early enough to avoid quarantine.

Thanks again for the thoughts though. You never know what critical bit of information will fall through the cracks!

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
One of my favourite Aus jokes:

A loud mouth Texan, while visiting an Australian sheep station "Why, I can get on my horse and ride for 3 days and still be on my own property"

Australian - "yeah, I had a horse like that once too"

doesn't solve your problem, but might lighten the load

Ya'll are so funny. You created your entire culture from old American Westerns (movies).

When I see pictures of Australia, I see my home land (Texas) 100 years ago.

But the truth is, we love Australia and its people.

We actually love the British as well (they’re so quaint), but don’t tell anyone.

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:05
Ya'll are so funny. You created your entire culture from old American Westerns (movies).

When I see pictures of Australia, I see my home land (Texas) 100 years ago.

But the truth is, we love Australia and its people.

We actually love the British as well (they’re so quaint), but don’t tell anyone.

Dang tootin' - Get along little doggies

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Dang tootin' - Get along little doggies

Australia is one of my favorite places in the world (seen from afar only, I’m ashamed to admit), but someday I intend on visiting.

I can’t get enough watching it on Discovery and The History Chanel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom