using asynchronous software for threading and posting (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Yesterday, 21:00
all,

does this site use any asynchronous code? most other forums I post on does use this, but this site always reloads the page or redirects to another page when posting or editing. not that it matters really, I'm just wondering why this forum is one of the few I've seen that does not employ js libraries for asynch ops.

I'm assuming that PHP does not have this ability, being a server side language? I've never looked into it, as all of my apps use js for this purpose. I just use PHP for communicating with server DBs like when POSTing data.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Jon has another forum that uses newer software. This is at best an updated version of a very old package. It is possible that it is old enough that async ops were not commonly available back then. He once mentioned that he was contemplating whether he even COULD update the old posts for the newer stuff he was using in the other forum, but that it would be incredibly tedious and he was unsure of what he could preserve vs. what he could not. From the utility standpoint, I have to agree that getting newer, spiffier software is foolish if you lose your historical content.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
From the utility standpoint, I have to agree that getting newer, spiffier software is foolish if you lose your historical content.
it's not just about being "spiffy" richard. asynch is what everyone is doing, although it's not necessary. it's just an idea. it doesn't have to be done, as we see PHP and mYSQL (i'm assuming?) work just fine here.

but the other point about migrating to a newer language and platform is that, it shouldn't be too difficult to backup and/or download the massive amount of data that's already here in these databases, implement the new software, then throw that old db data into what db's Jon would acquire with the newer stuff. maybe a few field changes? few structure changes? but how much different could it be? a DB is a DB.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
there must be some js code running here, cuz asynch ops take place if you EDIT and SAVE a post uve already written.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 03:00
The MrExcel forum just 'upgraded' their software.
No idea what extra goes on in the background, but my mention of not seeing the number of users posts in their avatar anymore fell on deaf years.? You now have to hover over the avatar to see 'additional information'. Quite a delay before being shown as well. Noticable delay before content of post is shown when hovering over the link, much greater than the old software. Huge circular avatars.

I for one am happy and comfortatble with what we have here.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Yesterday, 19:00
it's not just about being "spiffy" richard. asynch is what everyone is doing, although it's not necessary. it's just an idea. it doesn't have to be done, as we see PHP and mYSQL (i'm assuming?) work just fine here.

I've heard this argument before... But MOM... All the kids are jumping off bridges these days!!!

Unless there is a business reason that justifies the change switching from a known and proven system isn't desirable. This is why credit card processing still uses 2400 baud modems without negotiation or error checking. Small amount of data goes through faster than the negotiating time for a "Faster" modem. No business reason to change.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 03:00
That is what I get for not being an actual software engineer, nor a real computer tecnician.:(

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
That is what I get for not being an actual software engineer, nor a real computer tecnician.:(
same case for me gas boy (man). and hey guys, this thread is getting ridiculous now! maybe time to shut her down?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Well, Adam, ... you started it. You can mark it [Solved] if you want.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
there must be some js code running here, cuz asynch ops take place if you EDIT and SAVE a post uve already written.
most of the pages redirect after the transaction takes place, but the EDIT and the other one I mentioned I'm guessing use AJAX cuz the page does not reload in those instances. perhaps Jon is using something like: https://www.w3schools.com/php/php_ajax_database.asp

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom