Macro Error 2950 (1 Viewer)

HelpMe:)

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:07
Hello :)

I have a Split AccessDB with various forms and a navigation form which opens each area. The database is shared between 12 people. It works fine when a few people are using it however it seems to have a limit and we then cant get into 1 of the 11 forms.

The error is:
"The Micorsoft Access Databse engine cannot open or write to the file. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to write to view and write its data."

It then opens the 2950 error:
Macro Name:
Navigation: open_AssetRegCMD : OnClick : Embedded Macro

Could this have anything to do with data in that form being linked to an External CSV file which is updated each morning?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:07
Hi. Welcome to AWF! That would be a good guess. You should be able to confirm it by simply having one user use the form connected to the CSV file and then have another try to open the same form. Then, have the first user close the form and see if the second user can now open it. Otherwise, all the other forms, not connected to the CSV file, should allow everyone to use them at the same time without any problems.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:07
It's split - but does each person have their own copy of the fe?

eshai

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:07
CSV is the Structure of a file.
what is the program that create the file for example if its excel The file can be open in Excel and is stuck. try closing the program

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Micron, Yes each user has a copy of the FE on their desktop and i have checked the settings in all instances are set to the shared options

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Eshai, the data imports from an SCCM report each morning into an Excel CSV file which is linked to the database.

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Welcome to AWF! That would be a good guess. You should be able to confirm it by simply having one user use the form connected to the CSV file and then have another try to open the same form. Then, have the first user close the form and see if the second user can now open it. Otherwise, all the other forms, not connected to the CSV file, should allow everyone to use them at the same time without any problems.

Yes this seems to be the case although id say 3 of us can be using the form at the same time before it gets the issue

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:07
Just as a wild-eyed guess, compare permissions seen by your users. Access does funny things when permissions aren't quite right.

To do the comparison, from a machine with the problem and one without the problem, have them browse to the shared folder. Select the DB file but don't left-click. RIGHT-click and open up Properties, then take the Security tab. You should be able to see which permissions are allowed and which ones are not. Go to the Advanced option to see the detailed permissions when making the comparison.

It might seem a bit tedious to do this, but it is a one-time check and is not destructive so if you learn nothing from it, at least you are no worse off than you were before.

Registered User.
Local time
I have fixed the issue!

I imported the txt. file to a new table and saved the import
Put in a macro to import the saved import and quit the database
Then created a .bat file to run the macro and put this in Task scheduler to run once a day at 7am.
Linked the Front end to the table in the back end.

All seems fine for everyone now

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:07
I have fixed the issue!

I imported the txt. file to a new table and saved the import
Put in a macro to import the saved import and quit the database
Then created a .bat file to run the macro and put this in Task scheduler to run once a day at 7am.
Linked the Front end to the table in the back end.

All seems fine for everyone now
Hi. Congratulations! Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom