For disappears in Single Form view (1 Viewer)

lezzer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:25
Form disappears in Single Form view

Hello!

I am in the process of updating a bunch of very old access databases... one of them I have updated is odd.

Everything works until we made a change to the default 'date' in a form and now the form will only open in Split Form. At least.. I do not think it opens. Once I have attempted to open it in Single Form nothing happens but I am unable to 'rename' the form because it is open.

Form View is allowed and I do not see why Split Form would work and Single Form would not. ANY insight on this as I am now stumped would be so very much appreciated.

Thank you ahead of time.

(edited to correct title)

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Welcome to AWF! It's hard to say what could be happening without seeing it, but take a look if the Data Entry property of the form is set to No. Just checking...

lezzer

Registered User.
Local time
I did try with data entry on 'No' but it still does not open.

Data entry is required for the form though. I'd accept Split View if I could get the window to size right but it opens huge and nothing I have done changes that.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I did try with data entry on 'No' but it still does not open.

Data entry is required for the form though. I'd accept Split View if I could get the window to size right but it opens huge and nothing I have done changes that.
Okay, maybe it's better if you could post a copy of your db, so we can take a look. Do a Compact & Repair first, then zip it up before attaching the file here.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:25
There are other view properties that must work in conjunction. For example, you might set the default view to Datasheet, but set the Allow Form View to No. In such a case, you'd be stuck with Datasheet. There are 4 view properties to check.

lezzer

Registered User.
Local time
I will have to see how much I can de-work this database as it contains things I cannot share.

I have not seen something specific to Single Form view in google searches that I would need to allow. Allow Form View, Datasheet View are 'Yes', Layout view is 'No.' as it was before the db was converted to 2016.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I will have to see how much I can de-work this database as it contains things I cannot share.

I have not seen something specific to Single Form view in google searches that I would need to allow. Allow Form View, Datasheet View are 'Yes', Layout view is 'No.' as it was before the db was converted to 2016.
Or in the meantime, can you post some screenshots?

lezzer

Registered User.
Local time
Not sure what you might be looking for with screenshots. Let me know if there is something specific. The form Default View is Single Form. What I mentioned earlier is that if I change that to Split it works but is shaped out of whack.

In single form view it just disappears but is 'open' because I cannot rename the form.

Attachments

• Form format.jpg
    Form format.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 36

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Not sure what you might be looking for with screenshots. Let me know if there is something specific. The form Default View is Single Form. What I mentioned earlier is that if I change that to Split it works but is shaped out of whack.

In single form view it just disappears but is 'open' because I cannot rename the form.

Hi. Thanks. We are just basically trying to look for some other clues you may have not mentioned. Having an image or a sample db would be one way to reduce the time to find a solution to your problem. You posted a list of properties for your form, but not all of them. Unless I am missing something, I don't see any problems within the image you posted. There may be problems in the other properties not shown though. Can't say for sure without seeing them. Also, maybe the problem is not with the properties. For example, if you have code behind the form, we might need to look at it as well.

lezzer

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks, I'll post what I can. I promise I'm not trying to be difficult to work with considering I'm the one asking for help. Just trying to be careful around our work policies... of which I am an enforcer. lol

Not that it would matter overly much but I did compare the old .mdb to this and I see nothing different.

Attachments

• Form Data.jpg
    Form Data.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Form event.jpg
    Form event.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 35
  • Form other.jpg
    Form other.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 37

lezzer

Registered User.
Local time
No, the form. I can view the form in design. It is a form opened by a button on another form. The button definitely works as the form will open in split view but if I try to use the button to open the form or even switch to Form view from design view on that form, it disappears. Completely. No sign of it. Not a window, nothing.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Sorry, I wasn't fully conscious yet, was on my phone and probably let the thread title influence my thoughts. If you set Data Entry to No and saved, closed and re-opened and still had the problem then that's obviously not it. I don't think anyone has suggested you create a new form and copy all the controls to it? Maybe it's corruption.

lezzer

Registered User.
Local time
No but I should have thought of that myself. lol Let me give it a go.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Here's a summary of your facts:
you made a change to the default 'date' in a form
you are applying a filter
the form is set to Data Entry
on open, you are trying to go to a new record
you are sure the form is open because you can't rename it

It's not clear to me if you ever removed the filter. I can't recall seeing using data entry, a filter and attempting to go to a new record. Maybe that confuses Access so much that it can't construct a window for it, and the only thing that will render is a split form - which is 2 views of the same data. If this started with a default value change, what happens if you put that back to what it was before?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thanks, I'll post what I can. I promise I'm not trying to be difficult to work with considering I'm the one asking for help. Just trying to be careful around our work policies... of which I am an enforcer. lol

Not that it would matter overly much but I did compare the old .mdb to this and I see nothing different.
Hi. Along the same lines, looking at your images, I see you have the form set as Data Entry = Yes and also in its Open event, you have a macro to go to a new record. Both of those do the same thing, so I am thinking it could be masking what's really happening. So, just as a test, I would say set Data Entry = No and also remove the Open event macro. If the form still disappears after that, then we have at least eliminated them as potential cause of the problem. Also, I just saw you mentioned this form is opened using a button. Can you please post the code behind that button? Thanks.

lezzer

Registered User.
Local time
I thought briefly it was the macro that might be breaking everything but I tried removing the OnOpen Macro and setting Data Entry to no like you mentioned and it still disappears.

The button info in the jpgs.

Attachments

• Button Format.jpg
    Button Format.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Button Data.jpg
    Button Data.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Button Event.jpg
    Button Event.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Button other.jpg
    Button other.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 38

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I thought briefly it was the macro that might be breaking everything but I tried removing the OnOpen Macro and setting Data Entry to no like you mentioned and it still disappears.

The button info in the jpgs.
Hi. The button's click event calls a macro. Can we see what's in that macro?

lezzer

Registered User.
Local time
I'll re-iterate my gratitude for you taking the time to look at this with me.

Thank you.

Attachments

• button macro.jpg
    button macro.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 28

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom