Predictive typing (1 Viewer)

Isskint

Slowly Developing
Local time
Today, 04:32
Hi All

I have a table of technical terms (1 field) [tsTrm].

Users enter details of work performed in a long text field [wkPrf] of a separate table.

What i would like to achieve, is as you type, lookup of the [tsTrm] records matching the current word, and 'suggest' that word. Most reports contain anywhere from 5 - 25 of these technical terms, so this would save the users a bit of time.

I have an unpractical method (currently not deployed due to how slow it is) utilizing key down and sel length, start and text to isolate the current word being typed, check that against the tech terms and popup a label with first matching word (a keyboard shortcut can be used to accept the word). Like i say this kind of works, but with over 5000 tech terms it is very slow.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:32
think the way you are doing it is the only way in principle although you have only explained what you are doing, not how you are doing it. I would check your query that finds the words - is the table indexed? (if not, index it) are you using Like '*someletters*? If so, no point in indexing as the initial * makes using it impossible - or remove the initial *.

If the above is already being done then an alternative perhaps is to copy your table to a dictionary so it resides in memory and search that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom