64bit Sql server dsnless connection string creates alias db name (1 Viewer)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 16:52
Where is this Protocol name coming from? The script and server database relocation from a 32bit SQL to 64bit SQL all work fine.
My concern is that the alias DBMSSOCN is being maintained somewhere. If it ever changes, it will affect my program's connection.
Network= appears in linked table Connection string - was not there for 32bit SQL - using exact same script
History MS Access 2010 with DSN-Less linked tables to SQL Server 2008 r2:
Set up a 32bit SQLTest server. (1) The script works perfectlly. (2) Using a remote terminal, SQL Enterprise Manager allows a login for Datamig on SQL Server Authication. (3) the ODBC connection works perfectlly (4) the Server name has one name e.g. SQLTest
Moved DB to a 64bit SQLProduction Server: (1) The script works perfectlly. (2) Using a remote terminal, SQL Enterprise Manager allows a login for Datamig on SQL Server Authication. (3) the ODBC connection works perfectlly (4) the Server name shows as two names e.g. Servername\SQLProduction
My ODBC dialogue (selection Native 10) added this message after connecting with Servername\SQLProduction:
INFO: A network Protocol was found for the DSN server. 'Protocol: DBMSSOCN; Address: DENxxxSQL\denxxxulator' was used to establish the connection.
Sure enough, on my MS Access table connection string also displays the Network=DBMSSOCN that is not in my code's connection string
In the previous SQLTest connection string - the MSAccess connection string was just SQLTest
The VBA Code is shown below - it clearly uses the Servername\SQLProduction for the TableDefs.Connect - but once finished, the actual table Connect property is DBMSSOCN -
Where on SQL Enterprise Manager (or other services) do I find the DBMSSOCN Protocol service?

' This code segment reads a table with a list of MSAccess tables to be linked to SQL Server - it loops through each table and adds a DSN-Less connection string using the custom function ModifiedRefreshDNSLess2.
Code:
240   If RecordsCount <> 0 Then
250       rsSQLLinked.MoveFirst
260       For Counter = 1 To RecordsCount
              'Debug.Print Counter & "/" & RecordsCount & " Field value " & rsSQLLinked.Fields(0).Value & "  " & rsSQLLinked.Fields(2).Value
270                   If rsSQLLinked.Fields(2).Value Then                 ' if Relink checkbox is true then
                      ' Add new linked table here
'280                           'Set tdLinked = CurrentDb.CreateTableDef(rsSQLLinked.Fields(0).Value)
280                            Set tdLinked = CurrentDb.CreateTableDef(rsSQLLinked.Fields(0).Value, dbAttachSavePWD) ' password persist now
290                          [B] tdLinked.Connect [/B]= ModifiedRefreshDNSLess2(rsSQLLinked.Fields(0).Value)
300                                   tdLinked.SourceTableName = "dbo." & rsSQLLinked.Fields(0).Value
310                                   CurrentDb.TableDefs.Append tdLinked
320                                   CurrentDb.TableDefs(rsSQLLinked.Fields(0).Value).RefreshLink
330                                   CurrentDb.Containers("Tables").Documents.Refresh ' doesn't refresh table icon
340                   End If
350       rsSQLLinked.MoveNext
            Debug.Print "Error " & Err.Description & Err.Number & " " & rsSQLLinked.Fields(0).Value
360       Err.Clear
370       Next Counter
--- the Function call ModifiedRefreshDNSLess2 (The access table field name that matches the SQL table field name)
Code:
10    UID = "Dataxxxx"     
20    PWD = "dataxxxx"
40    DataBaseName = "xxxxlatoryDB"
50    strConnectionString = "ODBC;DRIVER=SQL Server Native Client 10.0;" & _
          "SERVER=denxxxsql\denxxxulator;DATABASE=" & DataBaseName & ";" & _
          "UID=" & UID & ";" & _
          "PWD=" & PWD & ";" & _
          "Table=DBO." & sLocalName & ";Option=3;"
60        ModifiedRefreshDNSLess2 = strConnectionString
Note: denregsql\denregulator is passed in as the server name - but DBMSSOCN is injected in the final Access table connection
Where do I find this association?

Last edited:

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 16:52
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/accessdev/thread/1806101a-ab57-4e5f-8f86-0d6893460fe9
A couple of months ago, the code would not accept the string with the server\sqlserverinstance format.
Now it does. It also magically shows this new message in the ODBC manager, or adds a new NETWORK=DBMSSOCN parameter to my connection string for the 64 bit SQL Server.
From the link listed above, it kinda looks as if there is a Data Name Service (DNS) that is giving the Data Service Name (DSN) an IP lookup for ODBC and the DSNLess connection.

I don't like it when my code does one thing somewhere and something different somewhere else.

With my lack of knowledge on Network protocals, if anyone else has a better explanation, please contribute your idea.
If this is of use to anyone, please at least give me a thanks so I know the time was not wasted.

http://www.connectionstrings.com/Articles/Show/all-sql-server-connection-string-keywords
a paragraph about DBMSSOCN

Attachments

• Access 2010 Connect Property.gif
    Access 2010 Connect Property.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom