New forum sections (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:20
I wanted to ask you folks if there are any additional forum sections that you feel would benefit the site.

ZikO

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:20
Hi,

To be honest, one thing I am always missing when I study programs and then visit forums is section regarding literature or good resources. We can eventually find information we need but sometimes it takes time to filter proper resources in google results. I think such section could contain some recommendations, opinions, or perhaps suggestions with regard to VBA, design of a database and other specific aspect of ACCESS. Literature and good resources is IMO the most important aspect when it comes to learn fundamentals and it greatly speeds up the learning process.

EDIT. I found a very good tutorial on following website:
Database Development with VBA
It is one that helped me to kick off with Access and VBA. I highly recommend it to all beginners.

Last edited:

khodr

Experts still Learn
Local time
Today, 21:20
First I would like to thank you for this site, it is really one of The Internet Tools which can be considered as a good Guide for Access Users,
but in the Learning Section I couldn't find anything related to a clear explanation about VBA in access how to use the VBA to work with unbound Forms or any explanation of RecordSet Specially and other VBA Tools,
it would be greate if we have this section here.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:20
Maybe Outlook would be benifical.

Also as we have SQL Server why not add MySQL which is more popular.

One thing I would like to see is when viewing a post it displays the section the question was originally asked in.

Jon, these are simply suggestions for you to think about. They are not items that I particurally want or need.

See what others think.

BTW Speed is still an issue.

mdlueck

Sr. Application Developer
Local time
Today, 14:20
Also as we have SQL Server why not add MySQL which is more popular.

I would hesitate to separate SQL Server and MySQL into separate forum groups. Perhaps slightly adjust the name of the SQL group to make it more welcoming to other SQL RDBMS's.

Likewise with the VBA group. As-is that group is under the Access heading. I feel like a heel having to ask a VBA question in that group which is rightfully NOT Access VBA, but Excel / Word VBA. I ask there anyway as I do not perceive this site to generate enough Excel / Word group activity, and the question was about VBA rather than general Excel / Word usage.

RainLover

Local time
Try kicking this one around.

Some members post in the Code archives. Sometimes we may have questions but we can't ask directly because the thread is usually closed.

Should we consider having a special place for follow up questions.

The way I see it the Sample Database or Tutoral is placed in the same place as usual. Then a new thread is opened in this new forum for discussion and for the Author to respond if they feel inclined to do so.

The new thread could only be started by a Moderator at the Author's request.

Up to you guys to discuss.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
It would be nice if those in command here would reply to the suggestions made. For example - yes good idea, we'll do it, good but not practical, rubbish idea, no way Pedro.

Or are the posters going to be left not knowing why their suggestion was left dangling. Although, thinking about it, they are questions so will be ignored by US commanders.

Col

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
It would be nice if those in command here would reply to the suggestions made. For example - yes good idea, we'll do it, good but not practical, rubbish idea, no way Pedro.

Or are the posters going to be left not knowing why their suggestion was left dangling. Although, thinking about it, they are questions so will be ignored by US commanders.

Col

Only Jon has the ability to modify the Forum short of posting stickies and what not.

RainLover

Local time
If I was Jon I would be waiting for some more comments before jumping in.

It appears to me that he will do what we want if enough people agree that it is a good idea.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
If I was Jon I would be waiting for some more comments before jumping in.

It appears to me that he will do what we want if enough people agree that it is a good idea.

That's the point, there are no comments or discussion, so the proposers have no idea what is going on.

Col

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Seems to be plenty of discussion to me, but the only one who can really approve a change and make it is Jon.

RainLover

Local time
I have been thinking. Yes I know that that can be dangerous.

How about a section for CHAT or NEWS or HELP. Just the one which can be used for anything.

Examples

CHAT. Right now there is some car racing on in Austin Texas. I would like to know what Americans think of it. BTW it is for Australian V8 Super Cars. The first meeting outside of Aus. Is it as successful as what they are saying on TV.

NEWS Hey guys my first Grandson was born last night.

HELP I have been working on this thread and need some help from someone who knows about Combo Boxes.

I would further suggest that this is a self destruct thread. A post will only stay for 7 days. On the 8th Day it is automatically deleted. There would only be the ONE thread. You cannot create a new one like in the water cooler.

If this is as popular as I think it might be it could be made into a Sticky and feature just above or below the Water Cooler.

Open to you guys and gals for discussion.

Cheers.

Last edited:

rzw0wr

I will always be a newbie
Local time
I like the chat idea.
Sometimes it would be nice to chat with someone I am helping.

Dale

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
CHAT. Right now there is some car racing on in Austin Texas. I would like to know what Americans think of it. BTW it is for Australian V8 Super Cars. The first meeting outside of Aus. Is it as successful as what they are saying on TV.

Its not the first time outside of Oz is it? The other ones were so successful you forgot about them? It makes sense taking it out side of Oz though, increasingly the manufacturers have no presence in Australia anyhow.

I suspect if it does get popular elsewhere - less Aussies will win - and it popularity nosedive back home. Swings and roundabouts. Theres plenty of other sports you can watch Aussies failing to win in. Why make the V8s another one. Look how badly Webber takes it for instance! ;-)

RainLover

Local time
I was totally wrong. There has been quite a few races outside of Australia. I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote otherwise.

The Race was the first one in the USA. The Holdens and Fords are made here in Aus. I hear some Police Departments in the US use the Holden as a pursuit vehicle.

What's wrong with Webber other than he is always second.

Last edited:

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday's announcement that Ford will cease manuafacturing in Australia in 2016 will surely have some ramifications for the traditional Holden/Ford battle.

RainLover

Local time
Yesterday's announcement that Ford will cease manuafacturing in Australia in 2016 will surely have some ramifications for the traditional Holden/Ford battle.

Interesting how they decided to open the Race to other Manufacturers.

I wonder who knew what when.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I guess anyone in the industry would be able to work out where it was ultimately going based on the production scales. Ford is only manafacturing half the numbers that Holden and Toyota are doing.

Design and tooling costs on a motor vehicle don't stack up unless the numbers are big. Moreover I think the Falcon is all they do here and the market for big cars is dwindling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom