Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Forms

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2005, 06:09 AM   #1
sara82

sara82 is on a distinguished road
Using Access's User and Group Accounts or Using a Login Form to access database?

Using Access's User and Group Accounts or Using a Login Form to access database?

I've been researching on how to make a database secure. How to create User and Group Accounts on access, I see the step by step instructions and tried it out myself.

I also saw some sites where they give an example of a Login Form and how to create one.

My question is do you need to create both. First create the users and groups to permit or deny access to certain forms and then have a login form?

But would that mean that they'd have to login twice? Once when the database opens because it activates the db security that was created and then login again in the login form that was created?

Also when the user logins in and clicks on the cmd button on the form which opens up another from, frmWorkLog, I have an Employee field. This field I want it to have the user's name entered automatically and "locked". So that info, employee name, is extracted from the user's login. So then the user can only see his or her records only and no one elses.

How would I go about creating that. Hope I made my explanation clear.

Thanks in advance.

sara82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:35 AM   #2
ghudson
Newly Registered User

ghudson has a spectacular aura about ghudson has a spectacular aura about ghudson has a spectacular aura about
No need to make the users log in twice with a custom login form if you are already using Access security with workgroups and users permissions.

You can grab the users workgroup name [user name] with the builtin CurrentUser() funciton. Try this for a quick test...

Code:
Msgbox "Current User = " & CurrentUser
You can grab the users Windows network name with the Environ() function.

Code:
Msgbox "Network Name = " & Environ("UserName")
Use one of those values to filter your records or what ever else you want to do with it.

Well if it seems to be real, it's illusion...

I am using Access 2010 with Windows 7

The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
function on this forum really does work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

.................................................. ......
ghudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:57 AM   #3
sara82

sara82 is on a distinguished road
Thanks, that's what I thought. Since I'm not too familiar with the Access security.. Whenever the user opens Access it will ask them for their username and password? Because when I ran a sample it asked me for my username and password each time I opened access or any database.

I just want it for one particular database. I also noticed that when you open the database and when it asks you for your username and password if you click cancel, then go to file and open your file, it'll open it with prompting for a username and password.

sara82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:58 AM   #4
ghudson
Newly Registered User

ghudson has a spectacular aura about ghudson has a spectacular aura about ghudson has a spectacular aura about
You have mistakenly altered the default System.mdw workgroup file and/or joined your computer to your modifed workgroup file. You should be opening your secured db with a custom shortcut.

Search around for you need to fix your problem before you continue. Search for the keywords {System.mdw security permission} to find the fix you need. Security is a huge topic to discuss and one thread might not give you all the information you need.

Well if it seems to be real, it's illusion...

I am using Access 2010 with Windows 7

The
function on this forum really does work.

.................................................. ......
ghudson is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: