Using SharePoint list as source is slow (1 Viewer)

Lucas79

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:51
Hello,

I have build an Access Web App within Office 365 for documenting our customers system configuration (Servers, Storage, ISP, etc). Within SharePoint I have a couple lists with information I want to use in my Access Web App as a source like:

- Customers (400ish)
- Employees (45)

Instead of making a table in Access Web App and importing our customers and employees, I would like to use the already existing SharePoint lists. Technically this is working, but performance is so terrible, it isn't usable right now, so imported the data. Even with the list of only 45 employees.

I'm using the lists as source for a lookup field or a dropdown box, both end up with the same slow performance. (takes about 20-30 seconds to load a view everytime I switch to a new record) The lookup time is also 5-10 seconds, after the initial record load.

Any advice on how to speed this up would be greatly appreciated.

Thansk in advance,

Lucas

zpy2

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:51
i prefer linking table from remote sql server.
and i also use asp.net to build web application.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 06:51
Your problem is nothing new. The Access web connection is horrid.
You might want to check out the Denver Area Access Users Group. They just finished a series on using Acces Web apps. Connection to Share Point is one of the 5 (it might be more than 5, I just remember 5) ways to use Access Web.

After all of the advantages and disadvantages for Access Web, ZPY2 brings up the best method. I think it was called the Hybrid Approach.
Basically, the Sharepoint web service is useful for users to retreive data from a server. It is OK for basic data entry by web.
Using Access Web for DB maintenance, isn't that effective as you pointed out.
It is much worse if the DB maintenance involves business rules.
So, use the MS Access to Link Tables directly to the SQL Server back-end.
The preference is to use the same SQL Server Native Client 11.0 for the ODBC.
It is possible to link it the same way on Azure. Just be aware, the web connection only returns an extremely limited amount of bytes due to the web traffic.
Fore example, a Select * from Employees probably won't return all the records if it is from Azure or the WEB connection.
Linked Tables directly to SQL Server provides all of the power for true application maintenance.

Hybrid - Web users use Sharepoint - Power Maintenance use Linked Tables to SQL Server. As a power maintenance user, you now have all of the power of VBA instead of those limited Macros the Web version offers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom