OLE not supporting Bitmap image (1 Viewer)

PaulA

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:44
Greetings, all--

I have what I thought should be a simple situation that has me stumped.

My users are using an Access 2003 database used through Access 2007 (to maintain user-level security). The OS is Windows 2007.

I have an OLE Object field in a table that I want to contain a .bmp image of a scanned signature. For some reason, my offsite users' system isn't supporting the image. I get a dark square and the file name. This is a bitmap image which I thought was supported by default.

In the table, it's indicated as "Package" with no capacity to convert to anything else. I made sure the image files were set to open with MS Paint (which my system uses and which works) thinking that might be the problem (it wasn't originally configured that way) but it didn't solve the problem.

This has me stumped. Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Paul

ColinGrant11

Local time
Today, 02:44
Has anyone found a fix for this problem as I am experiencing the same?
Many thanks
Colin

PaulA

Registered User.
Local time
I never got a fix for the problem as I stated it. I have heard that OLE objects, Access 2007 and perhaps Window 7 don't mix.

I am using a different method, as with Access 2007 one can create a field where the location of the image would be entered. Then you have an image control on your form or report bound to that field. It works fine. You couldn't do that in earlier versions of Access.

Paul

ColinGrant11

Local time
Thanks Paul,

Presumably that means the image control on the Access form serves to display the image? I never knew this was posible so will give it a try.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Personaaly, I would try and get these image out of the confines or OLE. It is dead simple to incorporate proper images and bitmaps have no compression.

I tried thia in Access 1997 and was simply underwhelmed and have use referential (linked) images ever since.

Simon

PaulA

Registered User.
Local time
You could do this in A97? Until 2007, I thought we were stuck with OLE except for complex coding.

Anyway, A2007 does allow a form or report image control that is bound to a field that contains the address of the image.

In my case, I was only going to be using 8 images that never increased. I was using bitmap as the file type. So my original question really hasn't been answered although it may be moot--even if it's not the best way to go, why I couldn't establish an OLE field that was functional in forms and reports in A2007 functioning in a Windows 7 environment (it worked in a Windows XP environment).

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
It maybe something to the Access 2007 change in the file format. Preceding Access 2007 all images were stored as bitmaps no matter what the original format. Now you can specific to save in their native format - Preserve source image format.

Here is an example of an uncomplicated image, we are not dealing with a Jackson Pollock image, the second jpeg is 60% quality.

Simon

Attachments

• arrow.bmp
    68.4 KB · Views: 317
  • arrow.gif
    arrow.gif
    17.4 KB · Views: 153
  • arrow.jpg
    arrow.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 111
  • arrow_60.jpg
    arrow_60.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 102
  • arrow.png
    arrow.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 156

Max D

Registered User.
Local time
Open registry editor and take a look at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp
Set it (Default) value to "Paint.Picture"

This should help. Usually the same trick is done for JPG files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom