Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Theory and practice of database design

Old 06-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
taifoor
Newly Registered User

taifoor is on a distinguished road
Customizable Invoice Format in Locked environemnt

Dear All,

I have designed ann invoice form where user enters data like inventory, quantity, rate etc. The form has its own formatting that is not changable.

Now i want the user to print that form data i.e invoice in a format that he can design or change by himself. However, I do not allow users to go to design view of report/form as in design view they can see all the tables and data.

So, whats the solution as to only allow user to format and add fields in report to print invoice in their defined format.

I also want user to define multiple formats and can select from drop down a single format and print that format invoice by clicking button next to it.

taifoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:50 PM   #2
plog
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,883 Posts
plog has a spectacular aura about plog has a spectacular aura about plog has a spectacular aura about
Re: Customizable Invoice Format in Locked environemnt

You really shouldn't print forms, you should use a report object. Of course that doesn't help your issue.

Honestly what you want to achieve is not possible. They need to get to design view to make their own formats. Any other solution involves you easentially recreating the Report functionality of Access within Access itself.its a fools errand.

With that said, a compromise might be teaching them how to do a mail merge in Word. That way they can have full formatting control in an environment t they know and then use access to feed it data.
plog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:41 PM   #3
taifoor
Newly Registered User

taifoor is on a distinguished road

Yes. Is it possible that I make print button in which on click event opens up an excel file already stored at backend path. Then user can add remove fields there and make invoice format as the way they want.

Please note that i also wants a format like Main form and subform. That is One invoice with many items to sell.

taifoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #4
HiTechCoach
Newly Registered User

HiTechCoach is a jewel in the rough HiTechCoach is a jewel in the rough HiTechCoach is a jewel in the rough HiTechCoach is a jewel in the rough

You will probably need to create a .NET add-in that has report writer capabilities.

See: http://activereports.grapecity.com/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HiTechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
gemma-the-husky
Super Moderator

gemma-the-husky is a glorious beacon of light gemma-the-husky is a glorious beacon of light gemma-the-husky is a glorious beacon of light gemma-the-husky is a glorious beacon of light gemma-the-husky is a glorious beacon of light gemma-the-husky is a glorious beacon of light

it would be a useful facility, but I guess it's not so easy in a .de database.

It isn't particularly easy to design complicate reports in the first place, so it would be even harder for a user.

I tend to offer a gradually increasing set of parameter-driven invoice variants, where the user can select whichever one he wants. So I have to design the additional layouts, but once designed they are generally available.

if a poster helps you, please click the scales at the top right of this posting, or use the thanks button alongside.
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: