Import excel definition only (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 11:39
Can just the definition of a excel spreadsheet be imported? All Google brings up is how to import different type of data.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:39
What exactly is 'definition' to you?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
What exactly is 'definition' to you?

Is use the term "definition" as that is what Access calls an import where I do not want any data.

On excel I have a mileage and lodging spreadsheet from 2018 that I want to use for 2019 and keep the same heading and mileage formulas, but of course not the data.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Access import wizard will not import formulas. Why would you want to - the formulas would be meaningless in Access. Might be able to do what you want with VBA Excel automation. Why don't you just build a table in Access? Probably faster than figuring out code.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Access import wizard will not import formulas. Why would you want to - the formulas would be meaningless in Access. Might be able to do what you want with excel automation. Why don't you just build a table in Access? Probably faster than figuring out code.

I am not in Access I am in Excel. I only used that reference because you ask me for my meaning of "Definition" so I am not using the Access import wizard.

I am trying to import a excel spreadsheet without the data, (the date and mileage) I just want to import the heading and the formulas that calculate all my mileage(running total) and days away from home (running total). I get a tax deduction for every mile and every day away from home. My past years are all in excel so I don't want to start over with a db.

In past years I always made a new spreadsheet and added all the heading and formulas all over again.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
I don't even see an import from Excel option in Excel. Can copy/paste cells manually or programmatically. Since formula must be in every row, how would you know how many rows to copy formula into if there is no data?

But why don't you use Access for data storage and manipulation?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I don't even see an import from Excel option in Excel. Can copy/paste cells manually or programmatically. Since formula must be in every row, how would you know how many rows to copy formula into if there is no data?

But why don't you use Access for data storage and manipulation?

Thanks for all your input.

yes after googling it many times and many different ways I came to the conclusion that it was not possible to import, at least like the way I wanted to do it, but I thought I would ask. It wouldn't be the first time I missed something.

Did you see my post on grid lines missing?

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Yes, I saw it and provided a link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom