Error in older Access after opening Access 2010 (1 Viewer)

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
Today, 21:57
Hi All

Whenever Access 2010 is started, mdb created in Access 2003 will produce the follow error on starting

"Expression On Open you entered as Event property setting proudced error: Object or class does not support the set of events"

The Error occur even before the Open.Event of the StartUp form is started.

To resolve this, after just repairing Access 02, then it is ok. Why so?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:57
Hi. Not sure I fully understand what you’re doing. Are you using Access 2010 to open both ACCDB and MDB files?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:57
If you are playing around with mdb's and accd's with different versions of Access, you can muck up references. I would look there first (on the pc that presents the error) and see if any are missing/broken. Also could compare the references between problem db and a former working copy (you have backup copies, yes?) but don't screw them up too by opening in the wrong version. For example, if you open mdb with higher version, then try to open in older version, likely you'll find that a vital reference has been altered to a later version which isn't present on the old Office version. That's why I'm also suggesting comparing the references. Best not to open pre accde versions (before 2007?) in newer versions of Access (unless you're content to convert them).

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:57
Good call, Micron. Might not be right but is a darned good guess.

FuzMic, opening an old DB with a newer version of Access automatically upconverts the file references. But then opening that same (now upconverted) database with the older version of Access does NOT automatically "downconvert" back to the references needed by that older version. And from Access 2003 to 2010, several versions of the reference libraries have indeed changed versions. Therefore, I "second" Micron's suggestion.

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
Today, 21:57
Guys it is onlyMDB, no accdb
Only access 03 & 2010

The 03 mdb was never touched by 2010. Just open an empty instance of 2010, on return to 03, untouched 03 mdb flag the error stated

I think just opening 2010 remove something so 03 don't work any more. So no mixed up just simple as I first type

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:57
Guys it is onlyMDB, no accdb

The problem you don't realize is that references are in the registry, not the app. So opening newer version of Access at least in theory could affect other databases. And it does not matter that you haven't upconverted the database itself. The references might still be affected.

The references Micron and I have mentioned are, from a VBA code page, you click Tools in the menu bar and then click References from the drop-down. The complex dialog box that pops up lists your references. THAT set of references.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom