Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > Site Suggestions

Old 10-25-2017, 01:01 AM   #1
ridders
AWF VIP
Gold Supporter

ridders has a spectacular aura about ridders has a spectacular aura about
Posts hibernating in moderators area?

Hi

Recently I posted a reply to an old thread in the code repository:Check if function or sub exists

It still hadn't appeared the following day so I contacted a moderator (Uncle Gizmo)
I was asked to repost it as the post got 'lost' in a neglected corner of cyberspace due to an apparent glitch in the forum software.
Many thanks for helping Tony

Today I've noticed a 'new' post in that thread by AndrewS dating from August. It was definitely not there when I added my post.

I also spotted another 'new' post by Static in my Emulated Split Form thread in sample databases. Again I'm sure its only just appeared.

In neither case did the forum alert me with a 'subscribed threads' email.

So I'm wondering whether:
a) a moderator is currently searching the site for 'other' lost posts. If so, thank you
b) the glitch has been fixed and a number of lost posts have surfaced as a result. If so there may be others I've missed
c) the glitch is still there

If c) is still true, I suggest all who post or reply to moderated areas should check to see whether their post appear within a reasonable amount of time (e.g. 24 hours) and if not, contact the site moderators to alert them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Tapatalk

If this answer has helped, please click the Thanks button and/or click the 'reputation' scales symbol on the left and leave a comment. Cheers!
ridders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:21 AM   #2
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo has a spectacular aura about Uncle Gizmo has a spectacular aura about Uncle Gizmo has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo
Re: Posts hibernating in moderators area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridders View Post
So I'm wondering whether:
a) a moderator is currently searching the site for 'other' lost posts.
Yes, you are correct Colin, I have been resurrecting hidden moderated posts. It's another aspect of the forum software where you would expect to get some sort of notification, but as it is now, you have to be actively look out for these things. I have been documenting various "moderator related" tasks/things? --- so that moderators of the future will have a sort of manual. At the moment, it's basically a collection of links to suggestions and comments made by moderators in the past. I am compiling this as a list of links in a thread in the moderator section.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Uncle Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:39 AM   #3
ridders
AWF VIP
Gold Supporter

Many thanks for your time on this Tony

I've now found 4 replies to posts I've done in moderated areas including one by Ranman lost since May and which I've just replied to.

I'm not sure whether anything else I've posted has gone missing.
The problem is of course that its hard to recall all posts done awhile ago

I've checking all of my sample databases or code repository items for other resurrected responses.

Suggest others who have posted in there may wish to do the same

, Tapatalk

If this answer has helped, please click the Thanks button and/or click the 'reputation' scales symbol on the left and leave a comment. Cheers!

Last edited by ridders; 11-07-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:30 AM   #4
Guus2005
AWF VIP

Guus2005 has a spectacular aura about Guus2005 has a spectacular aura about Guus2005 has a spectacular aura about

This means that i have to repost my message also to the same post. :-(
Thanks ridders for bringing this to my attention.

<edit>I don't feel like retyping my answer to this thread so this one is lost</edit>
Guus2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:52 AM   #5
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,686 Posts
jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice

This may be off topic but I recall others discussing old posts showing up much later than the posted date.
I received an email re a response to a post today 17-nov-2017. It was for this post.

Here is the essence of the email:
[Dear jdraw,

Colonel Mustard has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Synchronizing Access Forms in a Multi-User Environment. - in the forum of Access World Forums.

This thread is located at:
https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...1&goto=newpost...
]

Not sure why I received it today (about 3 years after the post's date)???

jdraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:03 AM   #6
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo has a spectacular aura about Uncle Gizmo has a spectacular aura about Uncle Gizmo has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo

I found a section in the Forum Moderators area which lists all of the unapproved posts and unapproved attachments. I have been going through it and removing the restriction on posts which look like they should actually be seen. When they are approved, then everyone in the thread is sent an email update. Hence the reason you received notification Jack...

Uncle Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:07 AM   #7
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,686 Posts
jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice

10-4 Tony. I have approved a post (or 2) and forgot/didn't know to approve attachment also.
Such a relief, the other possibility was that the OP has just now tested the suggestion.

Thanks for your comments and "keep up the clean up".
jack

jdraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:18 AM   #8
ridders
AWF VIP
Gold Supporter

thanks for your ongoing efforts with this Tony.
Good to know that emails will also be triggered this way.

So will this be the oldest post coming out of hibernation?

Is Colonel Mustard still in the library?
And are Professor Plum and Miss Scarlet there as well?
, Tapatalk

Last edited by ridders; 11-17-2017 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:14 AM   #9
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,244 Posts
Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about

It was The Reverend in the Dining room with the Candlestick.

(Please use the scales on the left if we have helped!) Mark threads as Solved once you have an answer.

Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:18 AM   #10
ridders
AWF VIP
Gold Supporter

Hi Minty

How goes things across the pond ... assuming you're still in the USA?
Hoping those last 3 letters don't register on the antennae of my namesake
, Tapatalk

Old 11-17-2017, 07:25 AM   #11
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,244 Posts
Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about

All good - busy but that's what I'm here for.
I doubt Uncle Essex reads these "normal" posts...

(Please use the scales on the left if we have helped!) Mark threads as Solved once you have an answer.

Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:30 AM   #12
ridders
AWF VIP
Gold Supporter

Glad the 'clue-do' was clear to you ...

, Tapatalk

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: