VB.NET Front-End (1 Viewer)

ccflyer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:50
Hi everyone,

I have been developing Access Databases for about 2 years now. Up until now, I have always used Access forms as my front end. I really want to learn how break out of Access as far as a front end goes, and learn how to write my front ends in VB.NET. I have searched google for many, many hours, but somehow, I can't find any resources or tutorials that are specifically for linking VB.NET to a (Access) database.

Do you guys know any good sources that would help me learn how to make a VB front-end?

Thanks,
Chris

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:50
Are you sure you looked at MSDN? Last time I looked, there were quite a few samples on how to connect to database, data entry and other stuff for VB.... It should be included in 101 VB.NET Samples, IIRC.

ccflyer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:50
MSDN didn't even come up in any of my Google searches.... and I forgot to look there. I can't believe I didn't check the most obvious place this info would be found.

I did a search on MSDN and found a beginner's video tutorial on using VB.NET 2005 express with SQL Server 2005 Express. That might help a little. I am going to give it a try.

Thanks Banana!

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 07:50
ccflyer

You might want to try Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition for dummies [book exact title] - it comes with 2 cds one containing all the required software for Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition as well as the SQL Server 2005 Express edition and further videos on Visual Web Developer 2005 Express edition and the .NET framework that is required.

I only bought the book on Sunday so I haven't completly determined just how good it is but I did see it recommended in another thread and so far it seems to been useful.

It's four days since I've bought the book and I've managed to get VB up and running along with SQL Server (just a complete test) and it seems fairly straight forward so far. For SQL Server 2005 you will also need to download the SQL Server Management Studio Express.

I also recommend www.learnvisualstudio.net site which for a small fee could give you access to loads of videos detailing exactly the kind of thing you are looking for. Think I might sign up for some.

Last edited:

skea

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:50
CCFlyer, Most .NET programmers use MS Access as thier Back-End. Its because other databases are too expensive or rather not easy to learn how to work with them. Due to the limitation of Access,I would recommed using other databases before its too late for you. There many out there.
VS also comes with MSDE which is a compiled version of SQL server but with almost the same limitations as Access, so its best to buy the real SQL Server it self.

There an number of online tutorials, not only from MSDN. A persistent google search will give you what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom