Copy hard drive (1 Viewer)

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 08:50
I need to get a bigger hard drive but I don't want to start all over and install all my stuff on the new drive. Can anyone recommend a utility that will let me mirror my old drive to the new one and then just use it as the primary drive?

Sergeant

Someone's gotta do it
Local time
Hi Ken,
I got a bigger hard drive, and here's what I did:
(The fact that I'm suggesting this doesn't make it right, or the 'best' way.)
I put in the new one and removed the old one. I ran the setup for the new hard drive. I reinstalled all of the software that I still want to use. Then I installed the old hard drive as a second drive and moved files I wanted to keep onto the new C drive. Then I formatted the old drive and made some archive folders and such on it to move files back to.
Now, I have a clean Windows installation and fresh installations of all my software...it runs much better.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:50
The easiest way would be to use a ghost programme - I'll see if I can find a link to a free or trial version most do charge :(

OR within windows you could make a backup of everything you wish to keep (programs > accessories > system tools > backup). You could either burn this to DVD or store it on your new drive.

You would then need to change the drives around so that your new one is c: and do a restore from the backup. The easiest way would be to format your old drive than remove it. Set your new drive as the master (of course you would need to do a fresh install of windows on this one) then run the backup again to restore your progs. A bit long winded I know and would only work if all your programs are on the c:

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
This looks good and it's a full 30 day trial (just note the limitation on volume size) - Casper XP

KenHigg

Local time
Thanks - Just what I was looking for.

alastair69

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:50
Did the 30 day trail work ken as i know were you can get it for free full program.

Alastair

KenHigg

Local time
Hum... When I get a few minutes I was going to read up on the diff's between Casper and Drive2Drive and see which one I may want. I haven't actually downloaded yet. But the disabled upsize feature in Casper may be a deal breaker with the freebie...

alastair69

Registered User.
Local time
It may be a good idea to post your final choice on here so other people can have a look at the options.

Just an Idea.

Alastair

KenHigg

Local time
I'll give that one a peek as well. Thanks!

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
KenHigg said:
But the disabled upsize feature in Casper may be a deal breaker with the freebie...

Yeah if you've only got the one partition. I personally (and I would recommend everybody does this) is to have a partition ONLY for Windows (usually about 4 gig), which means I can do a fresh install without reinstalling all my progs, I also have sperate ones for games and download/ storage.

alastair69

Registered User.
Local time
Do you mean you have a hard drive split into three sections.

1) Windows
2) Program(s)
3) Games and Downloads

If the above is the case you would still need to install windows and program(s) in order to get windows to find all your registry settings and program exe files, or will you.

Alastair

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
I actually have 4 partitions:

1) windows
2) programs
3) games
4) downloads

You'll actually be suprised how many programes do not need to be reinstalled, but you could run into difficulties with certain programes...............

mmm actually as I'm typing this I thiking maybe it not so simple....... I've been doing it for so long it's becoming second nature :p and yes if your not confident enough you can make a few mistakes. I have had to do things like:

import a backup of the old registry and manually edit it if required
reinstate dll's and other system files
backup specific files/ folders

Best advise I can give is to backup all the stuff you don't want to lose. This would include:

Your pst file (outlook).
A copy of all your drivers/ software for your hardware and obviously any software you have.
Any service packs/ updates
Basically anything you can think of :)
Oh and one thing I learnt very early on is ensure you have your internet connection information :rolleyes:

At least then you will have everything you need whither you have to reinstall software or not. The big advantage of having seperate partitions is that any software I have downloaded is already backed up in my download partition so if I need to reinstall its already there. ;)

Found this is a little amusing

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
You could always keep both hard drives in and use the larger hard drive for archival and file storing purposes. That's what I do.

Local time
Today, 22:50
Just a quick note people, I have used just about every backup solution there is i think as most people know one backup solution has something you want and another backup solution has something else you want.You just can't seem to find the perfect backup solution.:(

But i just used paragon Exact image 7. and won't be turning back in a hurry.Unlike norton ghost and similar even after a complete image creation sometimes you still have install g/card drivers and the likes.With exact image i created a complete backup then it has recovery media builder (burns a CD not dodgy A: Drives) and your done.Upon computer melt down you pop in the disc and locate your backup and Done.Complete working system again.If you have never tried it i definately recommend it.:D

Just my 2 cents anyway.

Dean

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Sergeant said:
Hi Ken,
I got a bigger hard drive, and here's what I did:
(The fact that I'm suggesting this doesn't make it right, or the 'best' way.)
I put in the new one and removed the old one. I ran the setup for the new hard drive. I reinstalled all of the software that I still want to use. Then I installed the old hard drive as a second drive and moved files I wanted to keep onto the new C drive. Then I formatted the old drive and made some archive folders and such on it to move files back to.
Now, I have a clean Windows installation and fresh installations of all my software...it runs much better.
I agree with that for I have done the same with an old computer. Now I have an external hard drive that I use to backup all my files and a few other important directories. Many on-line reviews state how unreliable the external hard drives are so I bought an external drive kit and installed a big Seagate hard drive. Seagate had the best warranty [yeah I know, there are no guarantees in life] so I went that route. The backup software that comes with all Seagate hard drives is great and it reminds me to backup my files if I have not run the program in a week. I turn the power off the external hard drive when not in use to protect it from power spikes and viruses. Yes, I am paranoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom