Keyboard problem (1 Viewer)

Malcy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:35
Hi
I have acquired a not terribly old Dell PC that was tossed out because keyboard not working. I thought (trying to be clever) try out a USB keyboard so I bought one and lo and behold it doesn't work either.
It seems to be recognised in Device Manager but hitting any key results in a wee bleep but no data input. In fact, the same as is a PS/2 keyboard.
Does anyone know what might cure this since the idea of recycling it is very appealing. I have tried full Windows Updates and they are all OK.
Any ideas, or am I up a gum tree with it?
Thanks in anticipation

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:35
Does it work fine in the BIOS ? - if so must be an O/S related problem.

Does it work in safe mode - if so do a virus scan (with the latest definitions installed), there are viruses that do this.

Malcy

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks
Will try but it will have to wait till tomorrow
I will let you know
Best wishes

Malcy

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Minkey
I tried as you suggested. It works in BIOS - there was an event saying POST ERROR - keyboard but it didn't give any more details.
Then I tried it in safe mode but the keyboard wouldn't do anything.
I have found a Dell diagnostics CD and ran the keyboard test on that and it came out with flying colours.
To my mind this suggests a Windows problem rather than a hardware one. Does this seem right?
If so, what would best course be? To restore Windows? But I don't have the Dell restore disc? I could use my own XP disc to try a repair?
Seems frustrating to be so close!

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 02:35
Definitely not a hardware problem if the keyboard works in bios. I would recommend a complete reformat and reinstall of windows to clear it out anyway since you just acquired it.

Malcy

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks guys
I ended up trying System Restore and whilst it has given me a few registry issues it does seem to have resolved the keyboard issue.
Will play with it today and see how it goes. If still issues then I will do the reformat and reinstall.
Thanks again for the help
Best wishes

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom