Adding DVD burner (1 Viewer)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 01:40
I want to add a DVD burner to my PC, if I add an internal device what are the issues, my pc is about 5 years old, Windows XP home is kept upto date but I've never updated BIOS. It has a DVD reader but would prefer to keep that.

If I took the USB2 attachment root, should I upgrade my 2 port PCI card, both ports on use or is it ok for the writer to share a BELKIN 4 port hub with printer, card reader and external hard drive?

As a separate issue is it possible to replace the front mounted USB 1 ports the PC came with with USB2 or does that require a motherboard change?

Brian

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:40
This is not to difficult to do even if you've never delved into the guts of a PC, rather than type it all out (I'm watching the footy :rolleyes: :D ) some links for you here it applies to a CD but the process is the same) or more detailed one here. Post back if you have any questions, you don't nessessarly need an anti-static band as long as you earth your self (touch a radiator) before hand oh and just be a bit carefull in there ;)

Adeptus

What's this button do?
Local time
Today, 10:10
Internal would be the best, and isn't that hard to do.
You won't need to remove your old DVD-ROM, unless you have a small case that only has space for one drive.

Brianwarnock said:
If I took the USB2 attachment root, should I upgrade my 2 port PCI card, both ports on use or is it ok for the writer to share a BELKIN 4 port hub with printer, card reader and external hard drive?
I'd recommend a separate port for DVD-R (and HDD, for that matter).

As a separate issue is it possible to replace the front mounted USB 1 ports the PC came with with USB2 or does that require a motherboard change?
It may be possible to connect the internal cables to a USB2 PCI card (depending on what connectors the card & cables have) but otherwise, yeah it's new motherboard time.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Thanks for the response guys. It is surprising what info is out there on the net if you use the right search criteria, I obviously didn't as I didn't find the articles pointed to by Minkey:eek: I shall restudy them with the PC open, having remembered to print them off first:)

Thanks again

Brian

PS lousy match wasn't it, assuming you were watching England.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:40
Brianwarnock said:
It is surprising what info is out there on the net if you use the right search criteria, I obviously didn't as I didn't find the articles pointed to by Minkey:eek:

I'm not sure how much you know about Google but is way WAY more powerfull than people realise. I simply searched for "how to install a dvd burner" WITH the quotes - the quotes ensure Google search for the exact phrase.

If you use how +to +install +dvd +burner it will find matches with those words but not that phrase.

There are MANY more options - Google advanced search and Advanced search operators and Google hacks - did you know Google has a phonebook ?

Sorry a bit of topic but I though you might find it usefull

Brianwarnock said:
PS lousy match wasn't it, assuming you were watching England.

Nope I was watching the group LEADERS* - Scotland :D but yes saw the highlights and yes England were lousy

(though we weren't that good either AND that was now way a pen and that red card !!) *until last night !

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Thanks I did know to use quotes, but hey it was kind of you to follow up, what I didn't think to do was put in
I simply searched for "how to install a dvd burner"
:eek: :eek: it's the simple things that catch you out :)

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Finally bought and installed burner at the weekend, turned out to be a doddle so thanks for giving me the confidence to go ahead.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom