Do you use a PDA? (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:53
I started off with a Palm V. Just loved the small form factor and the simplicity of the Palm interface. Later, I switched to Pocket PC which I find much less user friendly but had - at least at the time - better screens with higher resolution, more functionality and the Pocket Informant PIM software. This latter piece of software was the deciding factor as I initially used it mainly for PIM stuff.

After a while, I created my own paper based checklists, custom designed for my office tasks. Recently, I have switched back to the Pocket PC and Outlook Tasks and have just remembered how good they are. No more copying out my unfinished task list to another day. Reminders. Take everything with me when I go out. And so on. Just brilliant!

So, do you use a PDA? What type and why?

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Yep, a Sharp Zaurus. Mainly for the built in keyboard and the huge range of software for it. The screen is also excellent, even in full daylight. The only bad thing is the battery life.

uberDave

Local time
Yup I use a Toshiba e400 Pocket PC, it's quite an old device now but I still love it, I use it for everything, all the normal PDA functions plus I use it for mp3's, videos (yup can get a whole DVD into about 128mb at reasnoble quality) and even for gaming, i've got quake and a nes emulator running at the mo, I have to use some overclocking software to get the games running at a reasnoble speed. I've even got some music creation dsoftware for writting tunes on the go. Couldn't live with out it!

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 11:53
I have a Zire which, among other things, I like to watch how-to videos on. I can capture a cable show to my pc, then run it through a pda format optimizer. I can get two full length ( 2hr) movies on a 512 sd card!

I'd like to dev my own goal/task/project db in Access and use/sinc it with a PDA version...

Andromeda

I'm happy you left me
Local time
Today, 23:53
Too bad .. I am still waiting for mine to arrive..

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
KenHigg said:
I'd like to dev my own goal/task/project db in Access and use/sinc it with a PDA version...

I've been interested in that for some time now, let us know how you get on..:)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Ken, love the idea about looking at how to videos. I really like the idea of learning during downtimes. There is also a program called Supermemo that helps you remember stuff with maximum efficiency. You can use it while waiting for a bus!

Psilokan

Computer Programmer
Local time
Today, 10:53
I actually just recently started using my PDA again. I bought mine at the start of my second year of college, I figured I was already spending $500 on books, what was another $200 for a PDA? And I wont get into the story about UPS showing up asking for another $100 in brokerage fees before they'd hand it over.

I personally am not a fan of the Palm based PDAs, my roommate has one and I cant stand the OS on it. Pocket PCs have the familiar windows look and feel, not to mention pocket versions of Excel, Access, Word, and all my other typically used pieces of software. The model I picked out was the iPaq 3765.

I found it to be amazingly useful, however I found myself spending far too much time playing Minesweeper and Solitare on it, rather than paying attention to the class. I had all of my classes scheduled in it, and could easily record due dates of projects/homework. It was amazing for taking notes, recording important lectures, etc.

However after graduation it found itself tucked away in my drawer of gadgets, along side my Gameboy Advanced, obsolete ISA/PCI cards, old calculators and watches and all sorts of other stuff I spent lots of money on but no longer use.

Only about two months ago did I start using it again. Now that I'm working full time I am starting to remember how aweful I am at remembering tasks. The most useful feature would have to be the contacts database, it stores so much data on people and is remarkably handy.

I no longer keep any games on my PDA, as thats just asking for trouble. However I'm going to have to look into this software for shrinking DVDs, as it could come in handy on a future road trip. Sadly though, my model does not have a built in CF/SD card slot, so I had to get a PCIMCIA expansion card reader for it.

In the semi-near future I would like to put this beast to rest, and upgrade to a newer model with more power, built in WiFi, and more memory... But it will probably be another year before I give in and do that. Until then, my PDA wont leave my sight. :p

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 11:53
If you're interested, I'll send you some info on the one I use that is great. It ripped a 1 hr dvd down to 96 meg at 320x240.

Psilokan

Computer Programmer
Local time
Today, 10:53
Something has been bugging me for some time, and I thought one of you could help me out. Almost every time I try to do something on my PowerPC (Pocket OS 2002) it gives me a low battery warning. It starts doing it when there's plenty of power left. Something like under 60% and it starts warning me. Then below about 15% I get a red box instead of a blue one. What I want to do is disable this, unless its at the < 15% level. Really I could care less that my battery is only at 45%, thats still like 2-3 days of use for me.
So if anyone knows where there's a hidden option, or even a registry tweak that woudl disable this, I would be so thankful.

carash77ash

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:53
i recently purchased a navman pin 500, Has all features of standard pda's but also has built in gps navagation. I have found the unit remarkable. As I travel all over australia the unit is handy to have. No phone but i have never liked the pda's with phone. I find the phone function on most of them do not seem to work well.

Have any of you guys had much to do with pocket access. I find a few of my clients are wanting db that they can place on the PDA and sync with there servers. I havn't done much of this so currently trying to find courses to enroll in to update my knowledge.

Ash

31si

Registered User.
Local time
I recently brought myself a HP ipaq 3115. When i first had it was a little bit different to use, but im starting to get used to it now and it's great. Keeps me nice and Organise. Plus it keeps me busy with jawbreaker and few other little games!

dreamz

Is God Like
Local time
O2 XDA IIs

don't use it much ne more though. mostly as a phone & sometimes to surf the net.

W

willm

i'm a longtime palm addict

m125>m130>zire 71>zire 72> treo 650.
i've used them through college and at my job since-
the camera in the zires/treo is very useful for quick shots to document work
never really used a pocket pc, but never felt the need. I like the simplicity of the palm os. (although it would be nice to do some %@#%@^# multitasking every once in a while)
i got my wife hooked too- she gets my old ones when i upgrade

John.Woody

Registered User.
Local time
I use an hp hx4700. Deciding factor was vga screen together with pcAnywhere means I can dial into customers on the move using wi-fi, bluetooth, or LAN. Its so good with Tomtom 5 and I use it for music at home pluged in to my stereo or on the move with earphones. Oh yes appointments and birthday reminders for absent minded me!!:)

Bee

Registered User.
Local time
Need advice on PDA

Hi folks,

I am thinking to buy a PDA, but I am not sure what to buy as I have never owned a PDA before. I need one that can run my Access databases, play dvds, games, access the internet and have a reasonable battery life.

Any advice please,
B

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom