Shared database with multi users (1 Viewer)

QueryStumped

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:08
Hello...needing to ask a question regarding sharing a database with multi users and the same time. Db is located on a shared file folder. Checked the client settings, it is marked as shared. But it will only allow one user in. Please advise

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:08
Check the settings on your database that it is not by default opening exclusively

Options | Client Settings | Advances

From your post, I assume all users will be using the one database file. If so, you increase the risk of corruption and other problems. Better that each user has their own version which links to data held in the shared backend file. Search front end/backend

QueryStumped

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for your advice/guidance. I will check once I go back and see what is showing and suggest and alternative. Really appreciate your help.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 22:08
also you have to allow all rights to the folders property.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:08
Technically, Arnel, not "all" rights. You need the "MODIFY" group of permissions. You don't actually need FULL CONTROL unless you are the admin for that app and folder AND have the ability to adjust permissions of others. The only "biggie" that FULL CONTROL adds is that you can change ownership of an item. The other things you get with FC aren't quite so drastic in terms of security.

QueryStumped

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you all for the guidance. It's not allowing me to thank you individually.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 22:08
also you might need to go to advancd sharing on the control panel and set the password to none so that user will not see the ligin screen when they connext to the shared folder.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
QueryStumped,
Have you split the database so that all the tables are in the BE and everything else is in the FE?

The FE is NEVER shared. Each user has his own personal copy of the FE. Only the BE remains on the server and is shared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom