Advice (1 Viewer)

RodgerDJr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:46
Hello all,

I have been working as a contractor for a small company for about 10 years now. I was originally asked to come in and help them with an existing database that was no longer working properly. I was able to fix there issue and over the years have developed the application into a robust database tracking all the companies clients.

The company is a SBA 504 loan company. I have charged them a nominal fee (40/hr), and have not charged them for nearly all the hours I have spent on the database. As a matter of fact I would only submit a bill once a year.

Well, in 2006 I was asked about creating a database that would allow their loan officers to input all the demographic and financial information about a potential client and then print out all the forms/reports necessary to submit for the approval of the loan.

This quickly became a much larger project and I found my skills being challenged, but I was able to learn a lot of what to do and not to do. I decided to create all the reports in Word, something I have not done in the past. I wanted to create them in Word in case they needed to make a change on the fly they would be able to. I have learned that by doing this I need to have the Word Documents link back to a temporary CSV file and not back to a temporary table in the database as then user are not able to run reports for another loan if another user is already running a report.

There have been a lot of other issues, but mostly because someone else in the company, (theirs not mine, it is just me working on this part time as I have a full time job and I can only work on it after hours and on weekends) has had a difference of opinion on how it should work. So now it has been 2 years and I have made great strides in getting the database working with almost 25 tabs of input screens. I have been working with 2 people from their company who have been great. Well all this being said, here is what I am being faced with. I was told tonight that their owner wants they database to be fully running 100% error free by October 1st. This will include an import from the new database to their database I fixed 10 years ago, also they need to have the database export all the data to an XML files and all the documents in a PDF and zip to send to electronically.

Of course I have only submitted a bill for about 90 hours of all this work over the past 2 years, and I know I have well over 300 hours into it. I fell the owner has backed me into a corner telling me that it has to be 100% error free and all the other things still need to be built. They knew that I can only work on this part time. As they have not paid for this, they asked me if they could buy me out. My question is should I do this? Should I sell them a license that gives them rights? I really imagined that one day once I got all the bug worked out converting it from Access to SQL an VB or C#. Should I just let them buy me out?

Thoughts or ideas? What is the going rate for development?

Local time
Today, 13:46
I would: sell them an unlimited license, take your IP, and walk away. Charge $100-$150 an hour for support, 2 hours minimum, 1/2 in advance.

I know it's hard to walk away from your "baby" but that is the nature of the game (it nearly killed me the first time). Take what you have, take what you learned, and do it again, this time even better/more profitably.

fleetman

Registered User.
Local time
Much of the development of my program during the last year has been done by me on a learn as you go basis. I bought Microsoft office Professional2007 $450.00,took a 2 day class on Access $300.00 bought several books $300.00 My time amounts to 600 hours "probono" but for my efforts I Setup all the tables, imported ascii data from the old dos based system. Linked the PetroVend card data. integrated a "print to PDF" feature from Microsoft for emailing reports and closed workorders. Tweeked the system with Auto policy data for licensing and auditing purposes, maps for reference and directions. Set up barcoding for manufacturer part barcodes. I have also tested system with 500 units, 5000 parts and 800 workorders and split the data base BE to the network and FE to three computers. Office, Garage desk and parts room access.

when needed I bought 32 hours of programming @ $150.00 per and an additional 23.5 hours of support @ $80.00 per.

I am still developing the reports needed for management, otherwise the system is fully functional.

I am not really sure what it is worth but there are many systems availible costing $10,000 to $100,000 that are not nearly as functional.

The "probono" work you've done may have the business expecting to "buy you out for a "token" payment. If you retain the rights and grant them a license. If they break it you can always fix it. You may want to offer 10 hours of prepaid support as part of the price. This could lead to future prepaid support later.

good luck..

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 19:46
Well done fleetman - that is a very impressive method of tackling a problem from a standing start.

You will probably realise that its very difficult to price the value of a system like the one you've built. I suspect when you tell people about it even at your work the majority if not all will just glaze over.

Often the value you place in these things is very personal.
I've built a few systems similar to yours I think they're great but others are only starting to see there value now.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Rodger I think George's advice is good. The support package is I think a particularly good idea. If its that valuable to them they'll need you back in a shot. Plus they have to realise how much imagination and work goes into this.

If you don't you'll probably end up getting thoroughly p**d off with effectively working for free.

Looks like you have a very unique set of skills specifically applicable to this company.

accessfleet

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you Lightwave:

Your kind words ring so true. I'll take an "ataboy" when ever I can get them. You are right about value interest by managers I work with. I am currently working on the reports. When ever I finish a new report (the last one, vendor invoice processing within start and end dates) I supply a copy at the next staff meeting. They raise eyebrows but no one asked a single question about why the report was important, much less how it was accomplished.

I just keep in mind that, this new venture keeps the work interesting, even though it is never said out loud, I suspect that upper management see the value of the effort I am expending. What they may not realize is that I am making my /their work easier. By the time I am finished I'll retire. That is when I hope they really begin to ask questions.

Probono no more!

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
It is a great thing to deeply understand the systems with which you work. It does come with a certain responsibility. You gradually become its manager whether you get paid for it or not and whether you are attributed any honour for it whatsoever. The reward I get is that I have gradually been able to set my own agenda something I value highly.

If your anything like me I doubt you could stop yourself from organising it even if you tried because as you say it makes your life easier as well.

It seems to be endemic to working that others struggle to understand other peoples work. Something I doubtless suffer from myself. Those that see themselves as different are very much the same.

accessfleet

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Lightwave:

I guess you are right. My experience so far has been, the more I think about the processes and how to simplify the work the possibilities become clearer and clearer.

This program has already morphed into something so more advanced that the program it is replacing.

I'll just keep trying new things, espicially when "I think I can". The simplist reward I can think of is the "I did it moment".

have a inspired day..

John.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom