Shootings in US schools (1 Viewer)

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 18:15
There are some very old posts around AWF that prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are a troll, CE. A bad one with a somewhat fuzzy grasp of where the line is, on occasion, such as when you got yourself banned for shitposting about a member who had just died, but a troll nonetheless.

Nice try, though.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 22:15
Mark
Actually the figures were around 24000 suicides and 14500 murders in 2017 so about 62% suicides. I totally agree that gun related deaths by suicide cannot be considered in the same way as homicides but if guns weren't so widely available perhaps some of those people wouldn't have died (by other methods).
Just referring to homicides, proportionately the US has far more gun related deaths (per capita) than any other developed country.

I'm not defending errors in the NHS in any way. As I said the NHS is underfunded and understaffed as well as having structural issues. All of these issues need significant reform but I do think trying to correlate these two items in any way is utterly absurd.

To try and make a point, I also made what I think are two deliberately absurd statements based on similar arguments to those used to defend US gun laws. Shall we focus on that area instead?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
There are some very old posts around AWF that prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are a troll, CE. A bad one with a somewhat fuzzy grasp of where the line is, on occasion, such as when you got yourself banned for shitposting about a member who had just died, but a troll nonetheless.

Nice try, though.

In the last 20 years here I've been banned 4 or 5 times. Mainly due to cultural differences and the Yanks here being over sensitive. Your constant whining that I am a troll is very tiresome, change the record and say something useful for a change.

Are you not going to answer my conundrum of the wall funding?

Col

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I used the Wikipedia article from my previous link.
Their data source is given in the article.
Whether that figure is inaccurate I couldn't say but it remains a fact that the relative number of gun related deaths in the US is far higher than in all other developed countries

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 15:15
Very true that gun related deaths are higher, but so is homicide in general. That indicates a systemic issue worsened by gun ownership. My guess would be if the root causes for most of the killings are reduced, the number of gun related deaths will also go down.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
In the last 20 years here I've been banned 4 or 5 times. Mainly due to cultural differences and the Yanks here being over sensitive. Your constant whining that I am a troll is very tiresome, change the record and say something useful for a change.

Are you not going to answer my conundrum of the wall funding?

Col

You are just desperate to get a rise out of me, aren't you? Sorry, but I gave up feeding trolls for Lent.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
You are just desperate to get a rise out of me, aren't you? Sorry, but I gave up feeding trolls for Lent.

How long have you been experiencing paranoid tendencies? Most odd.

Perhaps the subject matter (the Mexican wall) brings it on. My apologies to you, I was merely puzzled by the financial aspect. But I appreciate the question was too complex for you as obviously English is not your first language, so I'll just have to watch and see how King Donald deals with it.

Col

Mark_

Local time
King Donald

I am SHOCKED and OUTRAGED! How dare you accuse Trump of nobility? Have you no shame? Do you think so lowly of the Queen to put her in the same category?

Keep this up and you'll be sent off to Australia!

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
How long have you been experiencing paranoid tendencies? Most odd.

Perhaps the subject matter (the Mexican wall) brings it on. My apologies to you, I was merely puzzled by the financial aspect. But I appreciate the question was too complex for you as obviously English is not your first language, so I'll just have to watch and see how King Donald deals with it.

Col

Yep. Completely desperate for a reaction from me. How amusing.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Keep this up and you'll be sent off to Australia!

Done that. Lived in Sydney for 3 years.

Talking of American royalty, there is a family called the Kardashians. We're told on the telly we have to keep up with them.
I don't watch it because it's American shite but are they worshipped in the USA? And what do they do?

Col

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Done that. Lived in Sydney for 3 years.

Talking of American royalty, there is a family called the Kardashians. We're told on the telly we have to keep up with them.
I don't watch it because it's American shite but are they worshipped in the USA? And what do they do?

Col
Have they brought cable to your corner of the world? You live in a castle right? With oil lamps.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:15
And what do they do?

In reference to the Kardashians, one of the younger daughters introduced a line of youth-oriented cosmetics. (Not CHILD youth, but young adult.) Fairly successful, I must say. Another has a fashion line. A couple of others are apparently REALLY good at making headlines by wearing outrageous fashions. But to be totally honest, Colin, I have more of a life than some people who watch everything they can if it has anything to do with that family. I wish the two entrepreneurial members good luck and to the others, they seem to be happy doing what they are doing. But they will be doing it without any of my money in that game.

Mark_

Local time
Have they brought cable to your corner of the world? You live in a castle right? With oil lamps.

Well, I'd think he wouldn't. What with not being in Sydney anymore, I'm wondering what he did to get kicked out of Australia.

The documentary I'd watched about Southern coastal England describes the area as a damp, desolate land not fit for man but beset with barbarians. Friends of mine who'd been to Sydney really like it. Can't think why someone would voluntarily leave a lovely city by the sea for some place known as wet and cold.

I'd doubt one who held a castle would actually allow someone ousted from Australia to reside there.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Doc, they were actually talking about one of the Kardashians with a business (Kylie Jenner, who has a cosmetics line) on the radio last week while I was driving to downtown Detroit, and apparently she's currently worth about $900 million thanks to said cosmetics line.

So I think she's doing just fine.

I'm afraid I don't recall what the others were worth - the focus was on Kylie being so rich so young - but their net worths were all significantly less.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time

I do have "cable" as you call it, but I never watch any programmes from the USA, except reruns of Columbo on a weekend lunchtime. I only watch UK made programmes. I don't have any newspapers. So when I saw a photo of this family on the BBC news a while back I was intrigued. I thought they were famous for being famous, ie no reason whatsoever.
I very rarely use Google or the Internet as it doesn't interest me these days.

I live alone now in the South East of the U.K. which has a climate and rainfall similar to Morocco, it is one of the most expensive areas of the U.K. after London. The only thing that interests me is working on my garden which I do daily.
I don't like people that much (except a few long term close friends) and rarely go to town. I am quite happy to go all day not seeing or speaking to anyone, plants are much more interesting.
I log into these forums every few months just to see if there is anything interesting being discussed, there never is. I ask questions, but as usual, I get stupid comments like from Frothy. Doc is the only one who has sensible replies - appreciated Doc. Nobody has an answer to my wall funding query.

We left Australia after 3 years there, in the mid 1970's, the objective of being there was to earn money - our salary for our Jobs was 3 time that of the U.K., we saved enough money to put a deposit on a house in the uk, so when we had enough money, we came back. We never wanted to stay there, it is like a poor clone of the USA. Australia tries to be American and fails.

Anything else you want to know?

Col

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Anything else you want to know?

Col
Yes! Are you a Duke? Like the Duke of Essex? You might not know this but we have royalty here. For starters we have queen Latifa, she is a made up queen just like yours. Then we have the fresh prince, he’s also a made up prince similar to yours. We also have the dukes of hazard. And we have a king you may have heard of The Lion King. The lion king is my favorite, which one is yours?

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:15
Nobody has an answer to my wall funding query.

Part of the problem is that President Trump and Congress are currently in a pissing match right now and as a result, nobody knows WHERE that funding issue is going or what it will be when it finally happens. If it finally happens. I have taken a wait-and-see attitude on that one.

Personally, I think it is a waste as currently described because static walls have been total failures throughout history. One can search history for references to various walls that were suppose to protect people from invaders, but they all failed. The only way to prevent incursion is to PATROL those walls, but that would cause an increase in the size of government and the Republicans don't like larger government. They are mistaken in thinking that the wall will fix things. It won't. The wall PLUS an increase in Border Patrol funding to put more boots on the ground... that MIGHT have a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom