Hello from Colorado, USA (1 Viewer)

SW_Engr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:26
I am a retired Software Engineer from Aerospace, but not database work.

Since retirement I have been developing Access databases for business applications, going on 20 years now.

I have looked at this site and acquired good information in recent years, but have never posted anything. However, I will be posting something shortly.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:26
Welcome aboard!

Svencanz

Registered User.
Local time
Since retirement I have been developing Access databases for business applications, going on 20 years now.

Hi, I'd be interested in hearing about how you offer support for your clients. I am looking at developing an application that I could sell in reasonable numbers. At the same time, I don't want to spend all day helping clients. So I am hoping to write something that is pretty robust, with a comprehensive manual, then "hope for the best".
What has your experience been in this regard?

Cheers,
Sven

SW_Engr

Registered User.
Local time
It turns out that I have over 700 clients in Australia and New Zealand. The package is very robust and rarely do clients need support, sometimes just help to get started. There is an Australian contact that will help with support, but is us very rare.

There is a very extensive user manual, but most of the clients have never used it because the process is self-explanatory and very logical.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
That is absolutely fantastic. A Users Manual - you may have to explain what that means as it is so rare.
Seriously, that is wonderful to have a robust application with that kind of professional reputation.
I would like to see your product offering just for the sake of appreciation, and knowing it is local to Colorado.

SW_Engr

Registered User.
Local time
It was initially developed for Australian businesses and later expanded to include New Zealand and the next release will include United Kingdom and Canada.

There is a Web Site for the product but I am unable to post a link.

I don't know if there is a way to send me an Email, but if so, I'll give you the url.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You should be able to fake out the forum until you can post links, like:

www dot blah dot com

If these guys aren't smart enough to put that together, they don't deserve your link. :p

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Will look at that from home in a couple of hours, thanks!

Svencanz

Registered User.
Local time
That is excellent... great to hear about such a successful Access implementation that is developed and marketed at a distance... even if you have a local company.
The new and much heavier legislation comes into force on April 10 ... I think it was... here in NZ.
So that may already have given you a boost. I have written stories about this for the papers i work for.
My cost level will also be similar to yours...
Thanks for this info, mate :)

SW_Engr

Registered User.
Local time
I do have a connection to Australia. I lived there for 20 years from the mid 70s and my 2 sons stayed in Australia.

Svencanz

Registered User.
Local time
Cool, I spend about six months in Sydney in 1990 and then a couple of months in the hinterland behind Nerang in 1993.
What version of Access are you working in, and do you require your clients to buy Office and Access, or do they use the runtime version?
I am trying to figure out what version of Access I should be working in, and how that will affect the clients.

SW_Engr

Registered User.
Local time
We are currently using Access 2007 and the clients use Access 2007 Runtime. We are presently working in Access 2016 but have not distributed this version to any clients yet because there is a problem in Access 2016 Runtime whereas linked .jpg images are appearing blank in reports.

The problem using Access 2007 is that if a client has Office 2013 or Office 365 with Access included, then Windows wants to use that version of Access, which is not compatible. So we are trying to move to Access 2016 but cannot until Microsoft fixes the image rendering problem in Access 2016 Runtime.

Svencanz

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for that info.... crikey - it seems Microsoft has created a bit of a compatibility jungle here. I was planning to buy 2016 for my laptop, which I will use to show the draft database to people in the USA. But I was hesitant about 2016.
I shall instead load 2007 onto it, and see if I can authorize it. I have Office 2007 on my main machine. Might as well plug on with this version in the meantime...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom