Help needed with data entry form properties. (1 Viewer)

kimberlin

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:18
Most of the form seems to be working ok with the exception of the combobox for the PayingCompID on the third tab. I want it to be able to add extra payment companies when necessary to the list but each time I try selecting the limit to list edits property and altering it to no, I get an error message coming up telling me that I've got to alter the columnwidths property first. I've tried increasing the width of bot those shown but still no luck, so I'm hoping that someone can tell me what to do as this is (hopefully) the last bit I need to get working on this form. I've attached the database in question.

Attachments

• tryout_Backup.zip
    178 KB · Views: 109

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
Today, 15:18
Actually it sounds like you may not need to change the "Limit to List" property of your combo box, but rather you need to implement a method for adding the new record you need. Take look at this link and see if it will help:

http://allenbrowne.com/ser-27.html

kimberlin

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you very much for the link. I'm printing it out as I type!

kimberlin

Registered User.
Local time
ok, I've typed all the given code (changing the form and field names) into the double click builder in the combo's property box (I take it it means the one within the form?) but then it says about requerying the combo in the pop up form's module so does that mean I type that lot into the afterupdate builder in the same properties box, or should I have been looking somewhere else?

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
The link I provided has information about multiple ways of implementing the process for adding records to the list that populates a combo box. The idea is to just follow the examples and not to have to change the names of your objects.

kimberlin

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, I must have phrased that bit wrong, I meant that I changed the form and field names given in the example code to match those in my database. After all that typing and double checking of property boxes, it's still not working!

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
Can you be a little more specific? What is not working? or What errors are you getting?

kimberlin

Registered User.
Local time
I had tried using the option 2 approach and I put it into the two different events in the combo box properties for the PaycompID. It would allow me to type a new entry on the form but when ever I asked it to edit the list, it just kept offering me the edit option no matter how many times I told it to accept the new value and then it told me that access couldn't save the new information. Rereading all the code just now I think I can see that I've made an error in the form names as I used the same form name in both sets of code. I'm going to leave it for today as I've now been at it for over 11 hours (ever since I got up this morning) which could be why I'm starting to make mistakes. I'll have a go at using the option 1 method and see if that goes in any better. I notice that the article says adding to a value list isn't advisable either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom