How do you paste a control at the cursor location (1 Viewer)

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 17:55
I need to move labels in my form from the detail section to the header. It would be nice if you could just drag them from one to the other, but anyway when I cut the control in the detail and paste it in the header it lands in the upper left corner. Then I have to drag it to where I want it.

Is there any way I can paste it at the location of my cursor?

Tieval

Still Clueless
Local time
Today, 01:55
What version?

I have never had any problem dragging them.

Tieval

Still Clueless
Local time
Forget that, I assume they are attached to text and the like in which case dragging them brings the text box with it. Cut and paste will detach it but I think you are stuck with top corner

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
What version?

I have never had any problem dragging them.

Access 2013

The labels aren't attached and I can drag them anywhere within the detail section, but not from the detail to the header.

I'm changing a form designed from single form to one to be used as continuous forms and the continuous form is turning out really wide so I'm at the point now where I have to drag it from the upper left to the right of the screen, scroll, and drag it some more.

Tieval

Still Clueless
Local time
Confused now, attached is a database with a label in a form which can be dragged to the header without issue, it was created in 2016 but I do not remember it being a problem in 2013, feel free to try it.

Attachments

• Database1.accdb
    388 KB · Views: 49

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
This is really weird. I was able to drag it to the header once. I then closed the form without saving changes reopened it and I can't do it.

I created a new form and put just a label in the detail section. I cannot drag it to the header. I'm betting that being able to drag between sections is new to Access 2016.

I have found a way to make my work easier and that is to widen the form, select everything in the detail section, and then in the ARRANGE tab click on tabular. That gets all of the labels into the header at once and at least they are not on top of each other in the corner.

Tieval

Still Clueless
Local time
Sat in a hotel room in Germany so cannot access a machine with 2013 on it. Sorry I cannot help more.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 02:55
This is really weird. I was able to drag it to the header once. I then closed the form without saving changes reopened it and I can't do it.
Post a sample database.

Tieval

Still Clueless
Local time
I know it's no great help, but I can do it in Access 2016 with your one repeatedly.

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
I know it's no great help, but I can do it in Access 2016 with your one repeatedly.
Actually as I have a Office 365 subscription I could upgrade to Access 2016, but I've afraid of what that might break.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Database is attached.
I've no problem with that.

Attachments

• FormHeader.jpg
    FormHeader.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 248

Tieval

Still Clueless
Local time
If it works in 2010 and 2016 I struggle to believe that the problem is with 2013 (even allowing for Microsoft), I would guess it is a local PC or Access setting.

As an aside, updating to 2016 is always viewed as a potential problem but personally I didn't really notice I had done it. I have had no problems whatsoever.

Maybe I am just lucky but from what I have read it is pretty much the same program and really disappointed people who hoped it would be full of improvements and additions.

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
If it works in 2010 and 2016 I struggle to believe that the problem is with 2013 (even allowing for Microsoft), I would guess it is a local PC or Access setting..

I agree, but I'm not sure where to start to look. Anything thanks to everyone.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Can't you try on another computer?
Did you try on a MDB database?
You don't have controls placed in a layout frame?

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
Turns out I can drag objects between sections after all; even in my Access 2003 version. I'm feeling pretty stupid.

Way back I found that if an object was selected the way to drag it was by the little gray box in the corner. Back then I probably knew that you could click outside the object so that it wasn't selected then click on it and drag it, but for some reason I stop doing that and only used the little gray box. If you drag it by the gray box you can't drag it between sections but if you drag it the other way you can.

So I apologized for this ignorant post. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
LOL - good you found out what the problem was! :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom