Second Normal Form a Massive Table (1 Viewer)

alsheron

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:55
I'm currently experiencing a very bad headache from having stared at my screen and googled all day. I'm now trying to find a way to get the data from Access into a Word document, all nicely formatted, with headings for each coin Denomination and the data filled in from the access database. I've searched and found many different ways to approach it. I can quite easily get a table to word from a query but that doesn't allow me to easily create a template of table heading and insert data below them from access. Also, sometimes it (because i need the listing in two columns) overflows one columns data to the top of the next column. I then discovered reports in Access, which seem great except that they dont export well to Word into a template (if at all). Again, i think it's just my inexperience here that causing me difficulty in figuring out the best (and correct) approach for getting essentially tabular data into word from access, but allowing formatting and inserting into a template like file.

The format i'm looking for in word is to have a two column template like the following:

DenomHeading

ListNumber[tab]ActualDate[tab]Description[tab]Price

So it would pull out data from my now beautifully crafted database and produce a word document something like the following:

HALFCROWNS

102. 1845 EF Delightful light golden tone £38.00

The list would flow down to the next pre-insterted heading....

CROWNS

etc......

and the data would flow over two columns (probably easily set up later)

The closest thing to getting this right is the Mail Merge feature of Word strangely enough, but It only seems to insert one record and then output as many separate documents as there are records. I think I might be able to use this mail merge feature but i'm shocked at how difficult it is to import data into word from access!

Something as seemingly simple as this should be easier surely?:confused:

Any ideas?

tehNellie

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:55
I'm not that hot with Word truth be told, at a basic level you can create the query that you want and then export the results of that query to a Word merge text file. That will open in word with column headings with the data tab separated so can easily be tabled or reformatted if desired.

You could get fancy and create a vba module to select your data, create a word document, do all the fancy formatting that you want and then save and close the document, but that isn't really something I can describe in a couple of paragraphs.

alsheron

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:55
Vba

Ah.... So it's all down to VBA. It seems like it's going to be a lot more complicated than I thought..... I'd better get cracking with some VBA.... :)

tehNellie

Registered User.
Local time
It's entirely possible that you can do something much simpler to achieve what you want, doing fancy things in Word isn't something I've done a lot of.

I love VBA, it's a variation of Visual Basic and lets you do all manner of funky things within Access and across the whole office range and in terms of what you've described it's probably what I'd attempt to use in the long term to produce the sort of thing that you're trying to do. No doubt someone else will now chip in with an incredibly simple solution for what you're trying to do and I'll have to go and hang my head in shame ;)

psahdBg

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:55
Please!! What happened with this? Did alsheron come right with his DB? THis thread just came to an abrupt stop! |I was following it with great interest..

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
thread is 9 years old and I don't recognise any of the posters - so chances are it will remain a mystery.

If you have a question, start a new thread

ButtonMoon

Registered User.
Local time
The actual question doesn't seem to have anything to do with the title of the thread. And 15000 rows is not really massive is it?

psahdBg

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:55
So tehNellie, did alsheron come right or did he drop off the radar?

tehNellie

Registered User.
Local time
No idea, had no contact after the last post in here that I can recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom