NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing - (2 Viewers)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 18:58
Since Jordan Peterson popped-up in this thread.

Washington Times link: Jordan B. Peterson triggers Cambridge professors; university rescinds visiting fellowship offer

The Guardian link: Cambridge University rescinds Jordan Peterson invitation

Seems that Cambridge does not adhere to the principles of "free speech". Peterson, by not being allowed to speak is effectively being censored.

“[Cambridge] is an inclusive environment and we expect all our staff and visitors to uphold our principles. There is no place here for anyone who cannot,” a spokesperson for the university said, the U.K. Guardian reported Wednesday.”

This abuse of free thought even applies to the "global warming" (AKA "climate change") crowd which this the theme of this thread. The "global warming" crowd asserts that the science is on their side. Let's assume that "global warming" is true, for the sake of argument. That does not justify silencing the non-believers. Yet that is actually an emerging trend.

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:58
When the rhetoric starts in preschool and continues non-stop until you graduate college, what did you think would happen? Now they want to lower the voting age to 16 in the states, I don't think the left (in this country) has thought this through.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 22:58
When the rhetoric starts in preschool and continues non-stop until you graduate college, what did you think would happen? Now they want to lower the voting age to 16 in the states, I don't think the left (in this country) has thought this through.

Its so good to know that you were able to think for yourself and ignore all the 'rhetoric' with which you believe all students are being force fed.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I know who runs the education system in the USA, here's a hint it's not conservatives.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
As I said, all that supposed indoctrination was completely wasted on you.
You've emerged arguing the exact opposite of all that brainwashing.
Anything special about your ability to 'think for yourself'?

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
I have to admit, it's amusing watching him regurgitate the same tired arguments luddites and other reactionaries have been screaming about regarding the American education system for at least the last hundred years, since well before the Scopes Monkey Trial resulted in Scopes being found guilty for daring to teach evolution instead of a religious fable in school.

Funny how in all that time, the overall proportion of conservatives vs liberals has never really changed. The position of the divider has changed, and today is far to the right of where it was even twenty years ago, but he can't admit that, after all.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
As I said, all that supposed indoctrination was completely wasted on you.
You've emerged arguing the exact opposite of all that brainwashing.
I was born into a Democrat family in California, my parents were poor working class. My Dad was a bartender my Mom was a waitress. I was against the Vietnam war growing up, but had no ill feelings for the men and women who served. My parents had no money for college, no one in our family went to college. I voted straight democratic ticket across the board until Reagan. I continued to flip flop my vote across political parties until Clinton was out of office. I changed my affiliation to independent after Clinton, I continue to flip flop across the aisle depending on the person or the legislation. I am liberal when it comes to the bedroom but conservative when it comes to spending. Let me know if you need more clarification, as I stated no formal education.

Colin I know this will not satisfy your inquiry into the reasons I feel as I do. I have said this many times I am not an expert of any particular subject. I am only speaking from my life experiences and gut feelings.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I have to admit, it's amusing watching him regurgitate the same tired arguments luddites and other reactionaries have been screaming about regarding the American education system for at least the last hundred years...
Well in the past 50 years liberals have controlled public education in the state of California, and sadly we are near the bottom. And yes the UC system does well in California, but as we have seen in recent days there is corruption at every level.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:58
Not trying to hijack a thread that has already been diverted, but the School Admissions scandal demonstrates that the parents have no confidence in their own children or the education system they are in. (Thanks to actress Julia Roberts for expressing this absolutely crystal clear point.)

Perhaps that happens because they see the schools "dumbing down" as liberal apologist idiots try to tell us that a social promotion is the right thing to do, and they tell us that basket weaving SHOULD be a college-level course. So they pass kids who don't know ... "stuff" from Shinola and who can't figure out why their shoes smell so bad and draw flies.

That social promotion leads to country humorists saying things like "Ah, 5th grade... the best four years of my life." And people laugh at that brutal joke because we laugh loudest at things that hurt so much that we have to either laugh or cry.

I'll probably catch a firestorm for this post, but I felt it had to be said. And I DO want it clear that I don't have a problem with the education system in general. I only have a problem with those cases where overly litigious parents sue schools that punish Susie for cheating - and rather than reply that Susie is a dum-dum who NEEDED a wake-up call, the schools relent and artificially boost her grade because the lawsuit would be more trouble than being honest about little Susie's single-digit IQ and probable lack of early childhood support from the parents.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
AB
I think you may have misunderstood the point I was making.

Thank you for that information in your last reply to me.
However, without wishing to sound rude, your background, education, voting history and (most of all) your bedroom habits are all beside the point.

All I have been asking is that you make statements that are backed up by facts.
Instead you have repeatedly made sweeping generalisations without any evidence to back them up.
When your opinions have been challenged you either ignore the responses, make out you were only joking or make statements like
I figure why argue the intellectual, when the visceral is far more interesting.

As for me, I do my best to keep out of arguments where I've got no evidence to back up my opinions

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Excuse my ignorance of US voting patterns, but do the statistics in the Wikipedia article indicate that % achieving success at each level is higher in states voting predominately for one of the two main parties? If so, which?

Also, if Democratic states like California are indoctrinating students with radical views, does that mean that Republican states such as Texas are doing the same but with a conservative bias?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
isladogs said:
isladogs said:
AB
I think you may have misunderstood the point I was making.

Thank you for that information in your last reply to me.
However, without wishing to sound rude, your background, education, voting history and (most of all) your bedroom habits are all beside the point.

A persons background and life experience is one way people formulate opinions, I came from a fairly liberal background. I was hoping you would see the connection.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
California may rank toward the bottom, but research indicates that top six states (Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Vermont, Connecticut, and Maine) are ALSO under more or less complete Democrat control.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/education/prek-12

AB, please explain how these 6 states ranking top overall for K-12 education confirm your bias that Democrat-controlled states provide inferior educations. Please provide facts for your results rather than anecdotal evidence or 'because Democrats suck', difficult as that may be for you.

Also, please explain how California's education system being weak contributes to the 'weaponization' of children by liberals.

Finally, please explain how a poorer education, especially with the well-known and repeatedly demonstrated correlation between lack of education and conservative tendencies, is somehow making our nation more liberal rather than less.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:58
Interesting observation, Mark, and somehow it makes sense.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Excuse my ignorance of US voting patterns, but do the statistics in the Wikipedia article indicate that % achieving success at each level is higher in states voting predominately for one of the two main parties? If so, which?

Also, if Democratic states like California are indoctrinating students with radical views, does that mean that Republican states such as Texas are doing the same but with a conservative bias?

Looking at reported as high school graduates, that would be Texas.
By population, California has about 40 million. Texas has about 29 million.
California has a Democratic majority and Texas has a Republican majority.

The numbers are based off of those age 25 an older. As there is much less "Private" schooling available, proportionately, for high school than university/college, this would seem to be the relevant demographic that AB would be referring to.

Personally I don't think the difference is based on the voters preferences but on which State has a better ability to ensure proper funding gets where it is needed and an emphasis on basic education. As a State, California is known for issues with money management. As both have populations comparable to many nations, their State education systems should be viewed in this light. Both States have large immigrant populations though differing in nation of origin.

For comparison, the six States Frothingslosh listed have a combined population smaller than either Texas or California.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom